Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

Heh.. You know who you are, What voltage is your CPU set at? Mines at 1.35v and won't seem to survive past 3.72GHZ OC'd, yet almost everywhere you read people have it at 3.8 - 4.6GHZ.

Im aiming for 4GHz now I have my new cooler. However I don't know how far I can push my gay crap ram, ohwell, I guess I'll find out

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

Why are you worried about your RAM?... you are running unlinked, right???

You may have what's known as an "FSB hole" or a range of freqencies of inherent instability. It happens withe the Q6600 (G0 stepping) at about 3.2-3.4GHz. Up your voltage to one below the recommended max. Go straight to your BIOS and make sure the temperatures aren't through the roof, then boot to Windows, test, etc. Then try for 4.0GHz from there. That's what I ended up doing with mine (a QX9650, mind I still got 4.0GHz out of it).

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

Unlinked? If its what it sounds like then no, I up my CPU, it ups my RAM. I've already had instability with my ram, but I up'd its voltage and all was ok I have no idea about the steppigns of CPUs as of yet, I is learning that as I speak, Going by CPUZ I have C0 stepping...w/e that means lol Intel have the voltage maximum at 1.45, So I'll go say 1.4 and see what happens, while trying to get the CPU upto 4GHz~

I shall reboot and let ya know how I go :)

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

:( Pilla broke a Bios I only have 3 left...How sad. Thank god for this Mobo lol. Well, anyways, It didn't like that and fell back to another BIOS I put it upto 1.35 @ 4.10GHz, and ram upto .20 @ 1094MHz and It failed to boot, second boot was its second BIOS. I should be more careful lol, I wonder if I can reset that other bios :/ Ohwell. I think I'll be happy with my 3.72GHz Thanks anyway daedalus

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago

Dude... unlink your damn RAM... That's the most blatantly obvious thing to do when OCing. It is what it sounds like; it allows you to up your CPU clock without your RAM's clock changing. Your RAM could well be the reason your system is so unstable, that's sure as hell what it sounds like anyway.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

Yeah, only I have no idea how to do that, I had a quick look in the bios but couldn't see anything. I don't believe it was RAM that caused the bios to roll back to another, mainly because the system bearly got power before it rebooted, which is more consistant with no CPU detected, then no memory detected. Memory goes through checks after the CPU does :/ How would I unlink my ram? Board is an X48-DQ6. Atleast I think, DXDIAG in Vista says X48-DQ6, Printed on the board says EX38-DS4 lol and Boot Time Image is a DQ6 image CPUZ says X48-DQ6 With the bios being by Award Software International version F6

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago

I have the same BIOS, just not on this machine, and I can't remember how to do it offhand (though I think it's somewhere in "Advanced Chipset Features" if not, "Frequency/Voltage Control".) If you don't see it, try setting things to manual, other options then appear (you can do this because the default setting at manual is whatever the BIOS last set it to anyway)

Long story short: I can tell you on Friday, LOL.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago

lol k. Well I'll wait till friday, in the mean time, Im going to learn how to revive my first BIOS... I rather not have 3 lol

Chocu1a

Feel my heat, Heavens on fire.

45,365 XP

3rd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#9 11 years ago

what exactly do you mean" blow a bios"? I have never heard that saying & do not understand how one can have "3 more bios"...

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#10 11 years ago

I was wondering about that myself actually. I figured he meant reset or something, but then there wouldn't be a limit...