Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#11 11 years ago

I have 4 BIOS's, well, from my understanding "Quad BIOS" my DS4 had 2 "Dual BIOS" And Since I OC'd to the point it no longer booted, it fell back to another BIOS, meaning the one that had the clocks set to high is doing w/e, while another is continuing to function with hopefully, the other 2. --EDIT-- Ahh, I see... Its all marketing talk, but ohwell, I still say its "4" BIOSes Spud has learnt apparently a Quad BIOS is only a Dual BIOS, with 2 spares.

So I have two Physical BIOS chips, 1 backup on the 'data block' and one backup on my HDD (Which btw I don't have lol) If the main BIOS fails, the spare BIOS (second chip) takes over automatically, flashes my main BIOS chip back to defaults, and reboots, booting from the main. If the Main BIOS fails, and the spare fails, it will use the backup on the 'data block' to restore the main and spare, but if all three fail it will fall back to the one on my HDD to restore the spare and main, while the damaged 'data block' BIOS backup stays damaged. So I guess If I make a backup using @BIOS from Gigabyte of my BIOS, save it to a CD/USB (CD since then it can't be wiped easily), and create a boot CD with Q-Flash on it, then I therotically have infinite BIOS backups. Hmm, Did I get a hole in one? or miss par?

Chocu1a

Feel my heat, Heavens on fire.

45,365 XP

3rd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#12 11 years ago

I see...so basically, you will just need to flash it back to the newest most current bios to get it back to where you want it? Is it the Gigabyte board you have? I just looked one up & it is damn sexy.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#13 11 years ago

Yeah, X48-DQ6 Its a very sexy motherboard, ive researched some more and my theory on infinite BIOSes is correct, as long as I always have access to Xpress Rescue, @BIOS or Q-Flash All can be put onto a boot CD (Such as a WinPE boot CD or Boot USB) However, I strongly fail to see how it would work...If I had no BIOSes working, I have no way to boot to the CDs. I used @BIOS just before to update my BIOS to the latest revision, F8A is on at the moment, from F6, So its a Beta BIOS of some type. Tomorrow Im going to create a backup of one of my backup BIOSes, put it on CD, and reflash the chips to be sure they are both 'non screwed' Then I'll attempt OC'ing again.

Babeman

A dog+sombrero=awesome.

50 XP

11th August 2008

0 Uploads

487 Posts

0 Threads

#14 11 years ago

Sorry for not helping in any way with this post, but what's the point in overclocking more than 3ghz? There isn't really anything your computer couldn't run well. I guess it would be better for the future, but no game demands that much to run really well (maybe crysis but even that CPU would destroy it, also im assuming your overclocking for games since your sig is from a game). Is there some application that demands so much out there?

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#15 11 years ago

Actualy,

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#16 11 years ago

Actualy, there is, the

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#17 11 years ago
Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#18 11 years ago
Babeman;4619796Sorry for not helping in any way with this post, but what's the point in overclocking more than 3ghz?

Because we can!

It does actually make a noticeable difference in games and in general, but honestly, stock speed was still pretty snappy.

At the moment my e8400 is running on 1.36 volts, 4194mhz (9x466). My DDR2 800 is running at 932mhz (+ 0.2v). FSB (+ 0.1v). The C0 stepping will typically need more voltage to reach that and of course, all chips are different and results vary.

As to unlinking the ram, you can't, that is a function of Nvidia chipsets only (like the 650, 680 and 780i). Intel uses dividers. The only option is to run your memory at it's lowest divider, which is 2. You can also loosen your timings to possibly get some more speed.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#19 11 years ago

I'll try that again...Not sure what happened before... "Actually, there is...." The LGA775 socket is to slow to be able to cope with the load put on it by newer games, so while the clock speeds may be fast, all to often with LGA775 its not fast enough to with newer applications, so increasing clock speed componsates for it. Thats part reason why slower clocked AMD chips run as faster or faster then Higher clocked Intel chips. When I first OC'd my CPU to 3.6GHz I noticed that Crysis and MANY other games, including BF2 while not gaining more FPS, didn't lag in Particle intense areas, and highly detailed models, Such as dust, snow etc. Rather then slowing in those areas, it stayed constant, yet on my Sole Core 3200+ (2.0GHZ) AMD in my parents system those same areas never lagged out, ever. GPU wise its a 6600GeForce vs my 8800GT, So it wasn't the GPU making the problem.

I'll try that tonight oblivious, thanks.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#20 11 years ago

Actually, Im pretty sure that the slowing down is caused by that awesome nvidia driver support and not by an intel processor that is in a completely different category than the athlon.