I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Before I give you the machine, a few questions:

1. Graphics card is the most important for gaming, right?

2. Are GTX10xxTi cards better than those with higher numbers? For example, would GTX1050Ti be better than GTX1060?

Anyway, here it is. Pardon the bad translation. Had to use Google since it's a local website. Also, note when it to in the technical details, that means yes:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mimovrste.com%2Fprenosniki%2Fhp-prenosnik-omen-17-w101nm-i716gb2tbgtx1070w10-y3v34ea%3Ftab%3Dparameters&edit-text=

This is the cheapest GTX1070 laptop I could find in my area.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Graphics card is certainly one of the most important parts, but without enough RAM and a decent processor it's worthless.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#3 1 year ago

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html\

and

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700HQ+%40+2.60GHz&id=2586

Specs seem fine to me... Sorry I didn't directly add links, but the system that adds links on this forum sorta sucks (sorry faktrl and friends, but I can never get it to work right).

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#4 1 year ago

Sorry I probably shouldn't have asked about that machine. I got so hung up on the graphics card I didn't consider the other things I needed. I'll add a list of things I need to adhere to. Pardon any errors. I copy pasted from my post from elsewhere with minimum formatting:

Budget: No limit. Though 2000 Euro or less preferable.

Buying where: Slovenia

Condition: Brand new.

Task being used for: Primary - gaming. Secondary - programming/engineering/CAD applications.

Portability: Preferred to be portable but may be able to leave it on desk more often unless required.

Playing games (which): Yes. Latest AAA releases.

Battery: Preferred user removable/replaceable and most efficient/long-lasting/lifetime battery possible (secondary to specs for gaming) in case of use away from desk.

In-person or Online Purchase: In-person preferred. Online only if proper condition of product is guaranteed.

OS: Whatever is best for gaming/programming/CAD these days.

Date of Purchase: Within this month most probably.

Expected Lifetime of Laptop: Don't know. Not a frequent buyer. Will use it till it dies but more probably once every AAA release  becomes completely unplayable even at lowest settings. Happened to be ~5-6 years for my current machine.

Optical Drive: Yes, able to read whatever runs these days. Should be able to read and burn DVDs and CDs at least, however.

Durability: As much as possible. I should be able to punch it anywhere be it the screen, the back of the screen, the keyboard, the remainder of the chassis and no damage should be apparent nor should the machine hiccup or glitch anywhere from performance to screen display (making a point, not being literal).

User-Serviceable: Yes. An important part of me using the machine forever means that I should be able to replace the thermal paste if needed and clean dust from the fans, among other things.

Keyboard: Standard English Qwerty Keyboard with all the keys being present.

Accessories: Mouse should go on the right hand side.

Modularity: Would like but not important. Would be nice to add in more RAM, better SSD, use external, better GPU via thunderbolt port so that I don't have to buy a new machine and can cheaply upgrade the laptop for longer use.

Also, since you folks out further west get better tech cheaper, I wanted to ask; Does anybody knew of online purchasing services which could get me a brand new, fully packaged machine online with payment on arrival and insignificant overhead (in case something goes wrong)? Also do you think there could be any issues (any examples/experiences you may have had) for example faulty machine inside and not getting warranty on it,etc.?

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago

We Americans generally don't have to worry about consumer protection. Purchasing from a well-known US-based venue generally means we won't get screwed if something is DOA. I have no idea how it is in Slovenia. I'm honestly not sure how to help you. It sounds like you want to combine high durability, portability, and performance. Although the latter two are becoming more and more viable,  a unit with a 1070/1080 is still going to be a bit hefty. Durability is another issue as well. Maybe  look at

So in  short, I don't think I can be of much help. :/ Maybe look at some of Linus Tech Tips' newer videos. They've recently covered some monster laptops.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#6 1 year ago

"Superfluous Curmudgeon "We Americans generally don't have to worry about consumer protection. Purchasing from a well-known US-based venue generally means we won't get screwed if something is DOA. I have no idea how it is in Slovenia. I'm honestly not sure how to help you. It sounds like you want to combine high durability, portability, and performance. Although the latter two are becoming more and more viable,  a unit with a 1070/1080 is still going to be a bit hefty. Durability is another issue as well. Maybe  look at Look at what? Were you in a hurry?

So in  short, I don't think I can be of much help. :/ Maybe look at some of Linus Tech Tips' newer videos. They've recently covered some monster laptops.

I'm not sure I understood the gist of how you have protection. At least give me the full form of DOA.

Anyway, obviously, certain things on that list have a higher importance. I wouldn't want the thing to break on the first day and as I said, I am not a frequent buyer so I'd rather get the best performance I can now and then get a new one when that machine is absolutely no good.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,008 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#7 1 year ago

If gaming is your objective you should decide what kind of resolution you prefer. A 1070 is an excellent laptop GPU, but for the latest AAA titles it will probably not be enough if you want to game with 4k resolution. There are a few laptops with GTX1080s, but they are overpriced in my opinion, so for 4k gaming I'd recommend a desktop.

If you carry the laptop around a lot I'd recommend a 15'' over 17''. Buying an external monitor may be a good idea as it is much more comfortable if you don't have to hunch over a small laptop screen. If you categorically don't want an external monitor and you don't carry it a lot 17'' is better.

As for hardware - make sure you get a laptop with a SSD (at least 500GB), 16GB of RAM in addition to your fast GPU.

The Asus ROG products are worth a look.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#8 1 year ago

"MrFancypants"If gaming is your objective you should decide what kind of resolution you prefer. A 1070 is an excellent laptop GPU, but for the latest AAA titles it will probably not be enough if you want to game with 4k resolution. There are a few laptops with GTX1080s, but they are overpriced in my opinion, so for 4k gaming I'd recommend a desktop.

If you carry the laptop around a lot I'd recommend a 15'' over 17''. Buying an external monitor may be a good idea as it is much more comfortable if you don't have to hunch over a small laptop screen. If you categorically don't want an external monitor and you don't carry it a lot 17'' is better.

As for hardware - make sure you get a laptop with a SSD (at least 500GB), 16GB of RAM in addition to your fast GPU.

I'm not getting an external monitor. Even if I was, I doubt 4K monitors are cheap. I'll probably be limited to 1080p since that's the highest I am seeing on even the most expensive ones generally available in stores.

I'd prefer lighter and smaller but it's not that big of a problem.

I'll have to think about the hardware, however. 16GB RAM might not be so hard but 500GB SSD does not seem all that common unless you pay quite a bit.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,123 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#9 1 year ago

4k is not really needed anyway. That is one thing Sony and Microsoft seem to not realize. Frame rate is the priority. My 1080 is perfectly fine. Just give me a good 60 frames per second.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,008 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#10 1 year ago
"random_soldier1337"

"MrFancypants"If gaming is your objective you should decide what kind of resolution you prefer. A 1070 is an excellent laptop GPU, but for the latest AAA titles it will probably not be enough if you want to game with 4k resolution. There are a few laptops with GTX1080s, but they are overpriced in my opinion, so for 4k gaming I'd recommend a desktop.

I'm not getting an external monitor. Even if I was, I doubt 4K monitors are cheap. I'll probably be limited to 1080p since that's the highest I am seeing on even the most expensive ones generally available in stores.

I'd prefer lighter and smaller but it's not that big of a problem.

I'll have to think about the hardware, however. 16GB RAM might not be so hard but 500GB SSD does not seem all that common unless you pay quite a bit.

SSDs are fairly standard now and they make a big difference (e.g. level load times). Whatever you do, don't buy a PC without a SSD.

AS for 4k, a bunch of gaming laptops have UHD displays, since they are small they don't cost too much. There is also the option of connecting the laptop to a 4k TV with decent response time. Whether the higher resolution is worth it you have to figure out yourself though.

Here is a list of laptops with 16GB RAM, 512GB+ SSD, and a GTX1070 or 1080. https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/ProductCategory/3751F1760668-1937779-2682416-7612874.html

Website is German, but the menus are failry self-explanatory.