*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

Hey guys, i'm doing some overclocking to my 7300GT here and was wondering something. The memory absolutly refuses to go above 800Mhz (stock speed is 667Mhz), but my load temps are still quite low when i start to get artifacting. While overclocking with ATI tool, as soon as the memory is set at 800Mhz the screen starts artifacting like crazy, but load temps are only around 53C when this happens. The core overclocks very well though, i stopped it at 452Mhz (102Mhz above stock) just because it seemed high enough for now, it was still going higher will no problems.

My temps are: Stock speeds = 40C idle / 48C Load OC @ 452/778 = 43C idle / 53C load

Is it possible that the memory equipped on the card just will not do 800Mhz regardless of heat?

Chris

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

20th February 2006

0 Uploads

5,663 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

Looks that way, those temps are fine. Not sure, but could it be pre-programmed to not go higher than 800Mhz?

rob.

I am the Walrus

50 XP

24th October 2004

0 Uploads

5,580 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

-StaticX-Hey guys, i'm doing some overclocking to my 7300GT here and was wondering something. The memory absolutly refuses to go above 800Mhz (stock speed is 667Mhz), but my load temps are still quite low when i start to get artifacting. While overclocking with ATI tool, as soon as the memory is set at 800Mhz the screen starts artifacting like crazy, but load temps are only around 53C when this happens. The core overclocks very well though, i stopped it at 452Mhz (102Mhz above stock) just because it seemed high enough for now, it was still going higher will no problems.

My temps are: Stock speeds = 40C idle / 48C Load OC @ 452/778 = 43C idle / 53C load

Is it possible that the memory equipped on the card just will not do 800Mhz regardless of heat?

Ok, seems hot. But that's for me. ;) Temps seem right, as long as you don't see artefacts.

Well, it's funny that you bring this subject up. I don't want to thread High Jack, but. I found something out today. There must be something programmed into these cards. Because I overclocked my card to 500MHz core, and 1400MHz Memory (As high as it will go), ran ATiTool, 10 seconds in, artefacts show up crazy.

Now, I set the speeds to 499MHz core, and 1399MHz Memory. Ran ATiTool consistantly for about 10 minutes, no artefacts, at all. I could've gone longer, but I wanted to do more stuff. ;)

Temperatures were the same. But the card didn't like 500MHz core or 1400MHz memory. But it was flawless with 1 MHz under.

Very interesting stuff indeed.

Again, sorry to take it off topic.

Overclocking shouldn't be too harmful, just watch your temps.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

That is not hot for an nVidia card. They are set to throttle back by default at 115 degrees C. Chances are that the memory is not great for overclocking, I mean you can't expect them to put the best stuff in something like a 7300, can you?

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Kommandant Ro╬▓Temperatures were the same. But the card didn't like 500MHz core or 1400MHz memory. But it was flawless with 1 MHz under.

Overclocking shouldn't be too harmful, just watch your temps.

That is pretty interesting, that sounds like the same thing thats happening to me. i might have to do a bit of research on that.

Now i guess its time to find the max for the core, several people have reported speeds of at least 500Mhz, so thats what i'm aiming for right now.

They are set to throttle back by default at 115 degrees C. Chances are that the memory is not great for overclocking, I mean you can't expect them to put the best stuff in something like a 7300, can you?

My default throttle back temp is actually 125C. Yeah i know, its probably just cheap memory. right now i'm running the memory at 778Mhz since thats what coolbits auto overclocks it too.

But overclocking this card has made a big difference, Aquamark 3 scores are only 1K below the plain X800 i used to have.