RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

Hey all! I just upgraded my rig and am a bit embarrassed to admit, I don't know that much about overclocking... I used to have an AMD Athlon 64 +3700 which I had running @ 2.6GHz from its 2.2GHz stock (Athlon FX 55 speeds) without a voltage change.... I already have my E2180 overlcocked to 2.66GHz and stable from 2.0GHz, without a voltage change, and running +-30'C. I am still running cool and want to pump out as much as I can get outta this thing! What I have so far.... STOCK OCed Hoping for 2.0GHz 2.66GHz 3.33GHz 800MHz 1066MHz 1333MHz 1.3125V 1.3125v ?.????v My rig is posted in my sig, any questions i would be happy to answer, and any help would be very much appreciated!

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

Your E2180 can probably hit 3.0GHz with ease on the stock cooler, at least many who have that chip say so, and likely without a voltage increase. I've seen folks running them at 3.6GHz, so 3.33 may not be too much to ask of it.

These cheap Core 2's are pretty impressive overclockers & performers. The E2140 (1.6GHz) I have could no doubt run faster than it's running now (2.4GHz), but unfortunately the motherboard it's in is extremely limited for overclocking.

I'm no overclocking guru, but one thing I would suggest to a newcomer: know where the Clear CMOS jumper is located on your motherboard.

RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

Well i tried 3.0 without a voltage increase and the comp would not post, and even 2.914 with no voltage increase, ran the nforce stability test and windows reset 5 min in. I shouldn't need to know where my CMOS jumper is, the board is supposed to have an overclock reset, but it is not working. Flashed the BIOS to the current version and it still does not work.... Found myself experimenting a bit and got extremely sick of turning off the comp, and reseting everything.... I'm looking for someone who has pushed this chip to its limits, and I want to aim at for what they got out of it on stock cooling. I noticed BSarchon has the 2160 to, I picked the 2180 for the higher multiplier, and was hoping to get it to 1333MHz fsb cool, so I would not need to have any additional motherboard chipset cooling, because the board already supports 1333MHz

arcadeplayer987

Revenge was here.

50 XP

25th April 2007

0 Uploads

1,819 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

If you get a good cooler like Thermalright Extreme ULTRA 120 and you change the voltage, you could reach 3.4-3.6GHZ

EpicLoad

OMFG!!! Where am I?!?

50 XP

4th June 2007

0 Uploads

1,648 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago

Is it really more of a cooling problem, or more of a mobo not wanting to unlock it that much? Cause I know a lot of people who can OC an E6600 to outrageous speeds, however, mine can't go that far cause of my mobo.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

The E2180 is a good chip, fast enough at stock speeds and a great overclocker.

let me know how your overclock turns out, my new rig i'm planning is probably going to have a E2180 so i'm a bit curios.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago

Make certain that, as you bump the speeds, you do it in small (<15MHz) steps. Even if your chip is known good to a higher speed, a massive increase all at once will often fail.

If you've hit 2.9GHz doing this and are now failing out, you're screwed. Next step is to bump the Vcore. How much is subjective; this will send your temps skyrocketing much faster than any overclock alone. If you find that successive voltage increases aren't resulting in more overhead, then you've hit a ceiling.

If that ceiling is with memory, you can try to lower its effective clock speed. If it's the CPU or motherboard, you're done.

Good luck.

RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago
C38368;4030938Make certain that, as you bump the speeds, you do it in small (<15MHz) steps. Even if your chip is known good to a higher speed, a massive increase all at once will often fail. If you've hit 2.9GHz doing this and are now failing out, you're screwed. Next step is to bump the Vcore. How much is subjective; this will send your temps skyrocketing much faster than any overclock alone. If you find that successive voltage increases aren't resulting in more overhead, then you've hit a ceiling. If that ceiling is with memory, you can try to lower its effective clock speed. If it's the CPU or motherboard, you're done. Good luck.

I have my memory and cpu clock speeds unlinked, so memory is not a problem, and my chipset already supports 1333MHz on the 650i ULTRA, so I should be good. Its on the processor itself that I have to work with.