Operative34997

error 414- user not found

50 XP

2nd June 2004

0 Uploads

794 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

Hello, I'm trying to start up a general discussion with other owners of the 3.4gHz Prescott Pentium 4, 478 pin, not 775 pin. I am looking for tech-minded people that use non-proprietary systems, which means, just because your new Dell Dimension has a 3.4 ghz cpu, doesn't mean your what I'm looking for. I recently came into one of these magnificent pieces of hardware and would like to discuss various aspects of using one, such as, voltage, clock speeds, overclocking, thermal solutions and so forth. I upgrade from a 3.0 Northwood and I've had my 3.4E for about a week now and have already begun to reckognize the awesome power of it. Here is my system: P4 3.4E Prescott 1MB L2(sounds repetetive, but we're supposed to post all specs) Gigabyte 8KNXP rev1.0 motherboard 2.0 GB Kingston PC3200 DDR Dual channel(4 X 512) Radeon 9800 XT 256MB Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum 80GB Seagate ATA100 HDD 8MB cache DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive no floppy(I hate floppies) Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 Cooling solutions -Coolermaster CPU cooler( idle 46C, full load 60C) -Self-made active air cooling for RAM(my secret:) ) -Standard 2 fan HDD cooler -Stock VGA cooling Hopefully there's at least a couple of you out there like me that just want to have a place to come and basically "talk shop". Enjoy.

Force Recon

Semper fidelis

50 XP

10th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,637 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

I heard sevice pack gave a lot of trouble to some people.

[+Glasius+] VIP Member

THE snowman

50 XP

23rd January 2000

0 Uploads

1,670 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

Operative34997P4 3.4E Prescott 1MB L2(sounds repetetive, but we're supposed to post all specs) Gigabyte 8KNXP rev1.0 motherboard 2.0 GB Kingston PC3200 DDR Dual channel(4 X 512) Radeon 9800 XT 256MB no floppy(I hate floppies)

Cooling solutions -Coolermaster CPU cooler( idle 46C, full load 60C) -Self-made active air cooling for RAM(my secret:) ) -Standard 2 fan HDD cooler -Stock VGA cooling

Thats a very nice rig you got there! Must have cost you a pretty penny :)

You said you upgraded from a Northwood 3.0 ghz, thats the CPU Im currently using. Im not sure weither Im going to continue upgrading this plarform or start on a new socket. Did you use the same motherboard for your northwood CPU? Done any CPU benchmarking you can post?

Whats that secret cooling solution your using on the ram? Or are you waiting to patent it before telling us? :)

By the temperature readings you gave it sounds like the prescott is as hot as the other P4s. You worried about temps?

Im no fan of floppies either, but their handy for flashing cmos & other out of OS stuff..

Operative34997

50 XP

2nd June 2004

0 Uploads

794 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

Hey, cool man! Yeah, I used the same board from when I had the Northwood. I just had to update the BIOS. I decided to stick with the 478 socket due to all of the "new" technology that's been jambed into the newer boards. I like new stuff, but too nuch at once and too new all at the same time throws up red flags for me. 478s have been out for what...3 years now, almost. It's a tried and tested technology. I trust it. Smae goes with PCI-express. It sounds great, but it just too new. Same goes for DDR2. If your running a 3.0 Northwood now, and your mb can support Prescott, I highly recommend it. It isn't so much the clock speed increase as the doubled L2 cache. It's like night and day compared to the Northwood. As far as temperature, what I'm running now is not any big deal, but if I want to OC(and I will), I will need to get set up with liquid cooling. It will probably involve a chiller, though. One thing about this 3.4 I have is, voltage. I have turned the voltage down to 1.1625 volts and no problems. It also lowered the temperature by about 10C. I've never seen a CPU that you could do that with. No benchmarking as yet, I've just had it for about 2 weeks and the temp is still dropping as the chip gets used more and more. Maybe in a week or so. About the RAM cooler, yes I am interested in getting a patent for it, but I will say that it drops my RAM temp a clean 8C below using just heatspreaders and it easily hooks up. Don't expect to see it on the shelves tommorrow, though. I haven't pursued anything with it just yet. lol.

phoenizz

-

50 XP

2nd March 2008

0 Uploads

939 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

i dont have a 3.4 but im thinking of buying the 3.0ghz prescott socket T (or LGA.....). It's the same family so i though you guys would know. Do you guys think its a good cpu?

Operative34997

50 XP

2nd June 2004

0 Uploads

794 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

At this point, I would recommend upgrading to a Prescott for anyone that is able to and wants the perfomance. I'm purposely staying away from 775s for now until the technology has been out for a while. What mobo do you currently have?

[+Glasius+] VIP Member

THE snowman

50 XP

23rd January 2000

0 Uploads

1,670 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

I would really appriciate if you posted some benchmarkresults once you get around to do any, we can compare my northwood results.

Also, how is the performance on that extra gb of PC3200 Dual channel RAM? Never tested a full 2gb 4stick dual channel system before.

Operative34997

50 XP

2nd June 2004

0 Uploads

794 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

I tried running PCMark 04 last night(free download). All of the benchmarks I use are the free download. But for some reason, the web page rendering test doesn't work and it won't give me any test results w/o it. So I went back to PCMark 2002, which is probably not going to take full advantage of the Prescott chip. Especially on just the free version. Anyhow, at stock settings, my scores were as follows:

CPU: 7246 RAM: 10536 HDD: 982

Not a really big deal, but like I said, the 2002 version probably doesn't push the Prescott to it's full potential. Any ideas on why the Web Page Rendering keeps failing? It has something to do with XP and SP2 because if I run it on my wife's comp which has Win2K, it works fine. I was just wondering if there was some setting in windows that I could change to make it work. BAck to the benchmark, look at the RAM score. When I had the Northwood, I had the same RAM. But I would only get around 9400 on the RAM. Just upgrading the CPU pushed those numbers up well over the 10000 mark! The performance shows it too. I don't know what games you have, but I play NASCAR 2003 and with everything(except sound) turned up to maximum, I get no less than 39-40fps. Average is more like 70-80fps while maximum is around 130. If you've ever played NASCAR you'd know why. It depends on how many cars are in the pack. 39fps is all 42 cars in front, 42 engines revving doing the starting lap. Under these same conditions, the Northwood only got about 29-30fps. The average and maximum followed suit. These tests I do, I do under reallife conditions. All of the backgraound apps that are normally running, are running during the tests. Virus software, firewall, anti-spyware, everything is on the way it is when I use the computer. Nothing "doctored" up.

Just recently, I spoke with my brother about volumes of memory. We takled about when we used 512, 1G and now 2G. So out of curiosity, I went into msconfig and set the amout of maximum memory usage to 512MB and rebooted. Heh. It was like somebody 'gut-kicked' my computer! What I'm trying to say is, for you, right now, 1 GB is fast. If you upgrade to 2GB, you'll notice some difference at first. But then in six months, reduce the RAM back to one gig. That's when you'll really notice the difference. Because at that point, you know what 2GB of RAM is. People say I went overkill on RAM, I say they don't know what they're missing.

Later I might run some 3dmark 03 tests, my 9800XT sucks with 3dmark 05. I think there's some CPU tests in those apps. I can post those and you can compare with yours.