Partitioning 20 replies

Please wait...

AzH

I'm too cool to Post

269,650 XP

17th September 2003

0 Uploads

24,050 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I want to create a small partition on my drive in order to install windows 95 (nostalgic reasons) and want to know how. I have a Win 95 CD on the way, so what do I need to do??

Ahh, currently running WinXP and have a large 200 gig drive.




EvilDisc

Hi...

50 XP

10th September 2005

0 Uploads

160 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago
AzH

I'm too cool to Post

269,650 XP

17th September 2003

0 Uploads

24,050 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

Question about that: It is available on a free trial. Will the partition remain in place once the trial period expires? I'll be fucked if I'm paying $70 for it.




Revenge VIP Member

Shizzle my nizzle

117,165 XP

28th July 2004

0 Uploads

10,354 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Windows XP is alot harder to partition for that 9x, because the M$ cocks removed FDISK from the OS, meaning you have to either use their CD or another partition program to do it without a whole load of fuss. What I'd do instead, is find an old hard drive somewhere (work, house, anywhere) - you'll only need a few gigabytes for Windows 95 + whatever you want to do with it, and then do a fresh install of Windows 95 on it. Schools often just give away old hard drives, as well as offices, but if you cannot seem to find a free one anywhere, some hardware sites will send you one for £10.




EvilDisc

Hi...

50 XP

10th September 2005

0 Uploads

160 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Well, you could use Microsoft Virtual PC, and emulate the win95.




Rookie VIP Member

128,030 XP

3rd May 2005

0 Uploads

11,953 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago
AzHQuestion about that: It is available on a free trial. Will the partition remain in place once the trial period expires? I'll be fucked if I'm paying $70 for it.

Yes, the partition will stay in place once it has been created, doesn't matter if your evaluation runs out. Once Partition Magic expires however, you will not be able to repartition your drive back to what it was before, or make any other change. Ideally XP should have been installed after Win95, to take advantage of the XP boot selector menu, and the XP setup partition tool. If you want to do this, the best idea would be to go get a cheap ass HDD like Reven suggested. This will spare you the headache of partitioning. I bought a 500MB laptop hard drive from eBay for an old Compaq Contura, and I was able to install Win98 plus a few bits and pieces of software. Since Win95 needs around 50-100 mb on average, I'd say you wouldn't need anything larger than 1gb.




Guns4Hire

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

22nd September 2002

0 Uploads

15,559 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

I second the motion for a small HD with a fresh intall of 95. Ebay and lots of places have them cheap. You will just have to plug it in when you are in the 95 mood. I do the same thing with WIN98. I have a 20 gig drive with 98 for my old school DOS games and etc.




FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

264,331 XP

15th December 2002

18 Uploads

22,360 Posts

1,636 Threads

#8 12 years ago

I disagree, i think the suggestion of Virtual PC 2004 is the best. Its available on a 45 day free trial from Microsoft's website and is just what you need for just nostalgic reasons. I use it myself and it's much easier and just as much fun as messing arround and doing it on its own hard disk.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx


Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com



Rookie VIP Member

128,030 XP

3rd May 2005

0 Uploads

11,953 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

Oh yeah, forgot about Virtual Machines. In that case try VMware. Hell of a program.




Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

Repartitioning the hard drive can be a little risky. Make sure you back up your data before you do anything. It works 95% of the time, but that still leaves a 5% risk of complete data loss. I use an Open Source app, QtParted, to repartition the drive. It is available on a Knoppix live CD, or the System Rescue CD. www.sysresccd.org

It is still safer to just install it to another drive, or use a Virtual Machine.

Then, it is difficult to find drivers for Windows 95, and newer hardware. So installing it to another partition, or hard drive in your new computer, may be more trouble than it is worth. A Virtual Machine comes with its own drivers, and actually runs more stable. The alternative would be to setup an old Pentium II, and run it on that.