AegenemmnoN VIP Member

The cream of the crop

228,590 XP

19th August 2003

0 Uploads

21,534 Posts

0 Threads

#41 14 years ago

hmm.. id sure like for my PS to work that fast....i need 2 Giggles of RAM.

Aurora-[NZ]

Formerly Nik1818

50 XP

20th April 2004

0 Uploads

2,468 Posts

0 Threads

#42 14 years ago

Ladies gents and Aeg's! Back onto the Processors please :lol: screw capitalism, our technology advancement, evolution theory's should be related back only to man being curious and wanting more, MORE, MORE!

Anyways, i know that the Intel 5.0GHz chip is released next year in January, also a 6.0GHz chip late July, and overclock capability's of up to 9.0GHz, (Liquid nitro anyone?)

But lets look at Dual chipped mobos for a bit. From what I take it, its your standard motherboard, but has had two CPU (Central Processing Unit) chips slapped onto it. So this means we will have 4.0GHz cpu's etc?

Care to elaborate somebody?

Peeping Tom

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

1st March 2003

0 Uploads

2,619 Posts

0 Threads

#43 14 years ago

Heh, we'll see quantum computing before 128 bit.....

Pethegreat VIP Member

Lord of the Peach

70 XP

19th April 2004

0 Uploads

20,892 Posts

0 Threads

#44 14 years ago
Ged41873Mac-test.jpg

Macs were desinged to do video/picture editing at very fast speeds. But in gaming macs don't work at all. They did a test on TV to show that you could run os10 in widows. The computer was very fast but OS10 was lagging alot

Pestilence64

Battlefield 2 ROX!

50 XP

15th January 2004

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#45 14 years ago

I still dont see 128bit cpu ever existing, altleast not in the next cnetury or 2.

to elaborate on Dual cpu mobos, it is how you describe, a mobo with 2 cpu sockets, and a bus connecting the 2 cpu, but dont be mistaken, if you put 2 2.0ghz cpu's on a dual cpu mobo, you will not get 4.0ghz. rather you will have 2 cpus processing data at the same time, (this is called SMP or symetric multi processing) but the 2nd processor is only usefull to Application that have been written to include SMP instructions, and also both cpus you put in this mobo must aslo have intsruction set for succesfully performing the SMP operations(intel xeon, AMD opteron, Athlon MP, Intel Itaniums) otherwise having a dual cpu system is just a waste of you money, space and electric bill.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,707 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,674 Posts

780 Threads

#46 14 years ago
Ged41873Mac-test.jpg

Notice the program used for that benchmark. This is why where I work, Macs are used for photo editing. With my place of work being a newpaper company -- who use photos quite a lot -- there are a lot of Macs. On the Internet desk, we use PCs, however. There is one Mac on our desk, and we use that as a sort of filing cabinet, because it doesn't take quite as long as a PC to tranfer large files from one place to another. However, if you insert a game CD into that little slot, the Mac will say 'Uh oh... time to die...', and explode. Have any other benchmarks, such as gaming comparisons, or any comparisons that don't involve editing images or transfering files?

Peeping Tom

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

1st March 2003

0 Uploads

2,619 Posts

0 Threads

#47 14 years ago

Why on earth would you use a windows box connected to the internet? That isnt very secure :p

PethegreatMacs were desinged to do video/picture editing at very fast speeds. But in gaming macs don't work at all. They did a test on TV to show that you could run os10 in widows. The computer was very fast but OS10 was lagging alot

That is because it had to emulate ALL the mac hardware. Most of the clock cycles were dedicated to that. Try and run windows on a PPC, you'll see the same problem.

[+Glasius+] VIP Member

THE snowman

50 XP

23rd January 2000

0 Uploads

1,670 Posts

0 Threads

#48 14 years ago

I bought a dual mobo and a Xeon 2.4 ghz 1mb cache for my new server rig. Once I get the rest of the hardware and the second CPU i'll post some graphs on its performance on different SMP apps.

I know QuakeIII had support for dualCPU, but I have no idea if its a standard feature for newer games. Anyone got a clue?

Pestilence64

Battlefield 2 ROX!

50 XP

15th January 2004

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#49 14 years ago

its was a feature of its dedicated servers, to help people server high # player games like 50 or more players, which it did pretty well.