Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Bit of confusion as to if its plain optical, or Blu Ray, however, none the less, its 400GB on something the size of a bread plate!

Pioneer has developed a 16-layer read-only optical disc which it claims can store 400GB of data. The per-layer capacity is 25GB, the same as that of a Blu-ray Disc, and the multilayer technology will also be applicable to multilayer recordable discs. Multi-layered discs have been difficult to develop because 'crosstalk' from adjacent layers and transmission loss mean that getting a stable signal from the disc is often nearly impossible.

Pioneer promises 400GB optical discs - vnunet.com

Pioneer has gone all storage crazy on us by coming up with a Blu-ray disc that is capable of holding 400GB of information.

This disc uses 16 layers to hold all the information at 25GB per stack, compared to the dual layer 50GB discs that we see in Blockbuster but never rent because the normal DVD is, well, cheaper.

The process of manufacturing such a disc is difficult, as the layers used often want to all be heard at once, so interference is common.

But by using techniques from the DVD manufacturing process, Pioneer has apparently solved the problem.

Pioneer unveils 400GB Blu-ray disc | News | TechRadar UK

If its Blu Ray or Optical, who cares, its huge capacity, a tiny physical size, and becoming faster and faster by the minute

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Actually, DVDs, and Blu-Ray are both Optical. CDs as well. Optical merely means that it is read by a laser.

If it is Blu-Ray. That is great. However, I wouldn't want another format in the format wars, just as they were coming to an end.

Blu-Ray is going to be the CD/DVD of tomorrow. It would be a bad thing for Pioneer to go against that. Either it won't take, or it will cost more money to get "Pioneer Optical/Blu-Ray" combo drives for the computers... :rolleyes:

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

LOL, yeah it's just a different laser spectrum, thus the "Blu" designation, still optical. Also, you don't have to pay more to rent Blu-ray at Blockbuster if you have a pass. I just got an email from them about a month ago saying I can now rent Blu-ray on my Total Access pass.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

lrn2notanalyze

No shit BluRay is optical, but its not old style CD optical. Most people would take that word "Optical" and think its like CDs, Most people would take that "BluRay" and think of the Blue DVD lookings disks

Also, had you put effort into reading the first post you would have seen...

Bit of confusion as to if its plain optical, or Blu Ray

Which means, confusion as to if its Plain old optical, or fancy BluRay optical, see the word PLAIN in that?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 10 years ago

Question: Can I use this to backup my hard drive files?

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

Sgt. D. Pilla;4427638lrn2notanalyze

No shit BluRay is optical, but its not old style CD optical. Most people would take that word "Optical" and think its like CDs, Most people would take that "BluRay" and think of the Blue DVD lookings disks

Also, had you put effort into reading the first post you would have seen... Which means, confusion as to if its Plain old optical, or fancy BluRay optical, see the word PLAIN in that?[/quote]Seems you spend most of your time trying desperately to refute that you've mispoken when it's pointed out D. Had YOU "put more effort" into structuring what you said properly it wouldn't appear so obvious that you weren't even sure if in fact Blu-ray IS optical at all. This sentence makes that rather clear: [quote=Sgt. D. Pilla;4425911]If its Blu Ray or Optical, who cares...

The word or makes it rather plain that you are actually implying Blu-ray is not optical.

What "most people" would do is not try and gloss over an erroneous post with nonsense excuses about most associating optical only with CD and instead admit they were wrong, even clueless perhaps. I also find your obsession with leet speak babble such as "lrn2notanalyze" rather strange, doesn't sound or look anything remotely elite.

Reading your posts is like watching a Larry the Cable Guy movie lately. :rolleyes:

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

Atleast I put effort into read things, rather then just skim read and miss everything your phail joke means nothign to me, wtf is larry the cable guy? Another not funny american comedy? Also, I knew BluRay was optical, saying it isn't is like saying a Lion isn't a cat Again, had you read...

Bit of confusion as to if its plain optical, or Blu Ray

you WOULD have picked up "plain optical" or "BluRay" in reference to "BluRay Optical"

lrn2useurbrain

Also, its 1337, not leet, stop trying to pretend you don't understand

Freyr VIP Member

A2Files Staff

46,875 XP

5th February 2005

11 Uploads

4,275 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

Cock'n'Balls;4427695Question: Can I use this to backup my hard drive files?[/quote]

Yeah, as with any storage media. This is just bigger, so it would be easier to store all the data.

[quote=Sgt. D. Pilla;4427746]Atleast I put effort into read things, rather then just skim read and miss everything your phail joke means nothign to me, wtf is larry the cable guy? Another not funny american comedy? Also, I knew BluRay was optical, saying it isn't is like saying a Lion isn't a cat Again, had you read... you WOULD have picked up "plain optical" or "BluRay" in reference to "BluRay Optical"

lrn2useurbrain

Also, its 1337, not leet, stop trying to pretend you don't understand

As has already been said several times by different people, particularly Omen that's not how your post came across.

The only optical difference between Blue ray and the previous media is using a different type of laser, so saying "plain optical" does sound like you don't know what your talking about, especially when you talk about "old style CD optical. The optical differences between the CD, DVD and Blu ray are effectively the same, different laser wavelengths.

"lrn2useurbrain" is presumably an attempt to spell "Learn to use your brain!", which is advice that I think you would be well advised to take yourself.

Also, If your going to claim to be an IT Professional in your signature then please would you bear in mind that your representing the profession and act accordingly.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

LOL, dont tell me how to act, Its a free world, I will act how I want, if you knew half the guys I knew that work in IT, you'd start to question if your to upstanding and proper

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

If you want to get anywhere in IT it means working for a larger business at some point. The small company you work for may accept you and your colleagues acting like children but a larger one will expect you to act like a professional.

PS - If multiple (intelligent) people misunderstand what you've said then it's almost certainly you that's at fault, not them.