kotfquig

Master skinner-in my mind :-P

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

ok, my moms boyfriends computer has been givin me a hard time, i had to replace the mobo, reinstall windows, then it was tellin me when i tried to activate it the number wasnt valid, so i tried reinstalling and its still telling me its not, now i KNOW it is, its the copy that came with the comp, so anyone wanna give me a hand? now it is a legal copy, and its pissin me off sooooo much, i just wanna get this stupid computer outa my room, so if you have a suggestion, or you wanna email me for more info my email is [EMAIL="cursedone222@yahoo.com"]cursedone222@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] but please, any help would be appreciated

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago
kotfquigok, my moms boyfriends computer has been givin me a hard time, i had to replace the mobo, reinstall windows, then it was tellin me when i tried to activate it the number wasnt valid, so i tried reinstalling and its still telling me its not, now i KNOW it is, its the copy that came with the comp, so anyone wanna give me a hand?

Three things.

1. Does the Windows install CD match the version of Windows that the Activation key was designed for? (Original, OEM variant, SP1, SP2, etc...)

2. How far do you get into the install? Do you get to the Desktop?

3. Does the Motherboard match the motherboard that was originally in the machine?

If not, then Microsoft/Windows may think that it is being installed on the wrong computer, and is refusing to install. Call a Microsoft support tech for assitance,...

Rookie VIP Member

128,030 XP

3rd May 2005

0 Uploads

11,953 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago
kotfquigok, my moms boyfriends computer has been givin me a hard time, i had to replace the mobo

Herein lies the problem. WPA will refuse to allow the same key to be used with two different motherboards. As Monster said, you will have to phone MS, explain the circumstances and obtain a new key.

Guns4Hire

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

22nd September 2002

0 Uploads

15,559 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago
Rookie_42Herein lies the problem. WPA will refuse to allow the same key to be used with two different motherboards. As Monster said, you will have to phone MS, explain the circumstances and obtain a new key.

Everytime I see someone having this issue I cringe. I want to really slap MS in the face for such an assinine format. If you change your MB you have to call them... how effin gay!

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,816 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#5 12 years ago
beef flapsEverytime I see someone having this issue I cringe. I want to really slap MS in the face for such an assinine format. If you change your MB you have to call them... how effin gay!

:agreed

I didn't have to call MS yet, but if I ever do I will make sure to tell them that I don't like being treated as potential criminal.

And as it seems I have to call them, because I have the exact same problem. I forgot to mention in the other thread that I changed my motherboard several momths ago and didn't re-install since then. Is there no way to get around this?

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago
MrFancypants:agreed I didn't have to call MS yet, but if I ever do I will make sure to tell them that I don't like being treated as potential criminal. And as it seems I have to call them, because I have the exact same problem. I forgot to mention in the other thread that I changed my motherboard several momths ago and didn't re-install since then. Is there no way to get around this?

There is, but it shall not be discussed here, for obvious reasons. This is why I'll be turning my back on M$ after XP's EOL.