random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I don't mean a desktop with a small form factor and screen or something like I may have mentioned in a thread I made when FF was still in use.

I mean like is it possible to attach desktop components externally to laptops or maybe more believably "upgrade" a laptop with a personally bought mobile component. I say this because I heard something a while back discussing about a thunderbolt port computers/laptops have within the recent few years while going out to browse laptops. I don't really know how it works or how it's different from any other port that allows peripherals (like USB, Mouse, KB,etc.) that were already present. But it was mentioned as an alternative to having to buy a new laptop whenever hardware had to be changed.

Anyone know if/how this works or even what it is I am talking about?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,838 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#2 2 years ago

A few companies offer or are building docking stations that can handle desktop GPUs. Razer Core, MSI gamingdock etc.

So in addition to your laptop you buy one of those boxes and a desktop graphics card. You plug the GPU into the box and connect the box to the laptop with Thunderbolt or whichever proprietary connector they are using.

The interesting question is to what degree the connection between the box and the laptop impact GPU performance.