kotfquig

Master skinner-in my mind :-P

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

ok, a friend of the family dropped off his computer here because it wasnt working right, its a dell inspirion 2500, he was having a problem saying it wasnt a genuine copy of windows (which it was) and i fixed that, and also gave him avast and zone alarm. about a week later he said that zone alarm was givin him problems, and he already had software issues (that he didnt tell me about before) so he just wanted me to format it, reinstall windows, and leave it as a clean slate (oh yea, he also said sometimes it wouldnt load windows either) so i did that, and tested it about 4 or so times to make sure it booted i go to give it to him, and i open it up to show him it works, and what do you know, windows doesnt boot, now i havent touched it since then cause ive been busy as hell and a computer tech where i work said it sounded like a short somewhere now i think this is the case, but i REALLY owe this guy (he gave me a $1700 surround sound system for free because he got a better one) now as far as hardware goes in a laptop, im not screwin with that, ive done that before and after frying the motherboard.... im not doing that again, so i was hoping that someone might be able to think of some way this could be a software issue for me to try and fix (although i doubt it because what software issue could it have after just formatting it?) so any response would be appreciated

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 12 years ago

What version of Windows are you trying to install? Also, I ran into a similar problem, try using a Different installation method/disk. A scratch once kept mine from copying all files, and can cause some corrupt files to be saved. When you install windows, are you installing all of the drivers that go w/ the laptop? My last suggestion is to reformat, wipe it clean, install Windows using a different CD, and go from there.

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

thanks alot, ill try that by the way its windows xp home that i did on his, ill try it with my copy of home edition and as far as the specs cause i didnt say them before its a dell inspirion 2500 pentium III 256mb of ram and its about 3 1/2 years old

marvinmatthew

Tech is where you'll find me..

50 XP

13th April 2005

0 Uploads

3,627 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

He might be happier with Windows 2000 on that machine. It will run a fair amount faster.

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

thats what i told him before, but idk if i can get ahold of a copy, and he wants xp cause he knows it

marvinmatthew

50 XP

13th April 2005

0 Uploads

3,627 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

Win2000 and XP aren't all that different. But, it indeed might be a bit hard to find a new copy of Windows 2000.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

XP on that would not be that bad if its a faster P3.

Does windows even show you the loading screen or does it not even go that far?

I would try reformating it again. If you have a linux disc, you could try installing linux once to see if it boots. that would test if its a hardware problem or not.

marvinmatthew

50 XP

13th April 2005

0 Uploads

3,627 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago
-StaticX-I would try reformating it again. If you have a linux disc, you could try installing linux once to see if it boots. that would test if its a hardware problem or not.

:agreed

FN_lewrbm69

It's Not Easy Being Green

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

3,372 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

sounds licke a Bad hard drive, as long as the computer is on and power is on right untill you shut it down aka not a restart but shutting down ware it is all powered off. then the data is corrupted this happens a lot on lap tops and desktop that are moved around alot.

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

alright, sounds good ill be doin that stuff when i get back from school/work today hopefully that will do the trick