N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#11 14 years ago

Not to add to the pile too much, but thanks M!tch for the info. This was exactly what I was looking for. BTW, what is DDR2 and DDR3?

Agentlaidlaw

Pie

50 XP

21st February 2005

0 Uploads

3,801 Posts

0 Threads

#12 14 years ago

DDR2 and DDR3 are newer versions of DDR. There clocked at higher speeds than DDR.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#13 14 years ago

DDR2 is a poorly-designed architecture designed to replace DDR. It's main high point is a lower operating voltage than DDR (this is good for both temps and notebook power consumption). The biggest problem with DDR2 is that you need to hit around DDR2-667 before the superloose DDR2 latencies are overrun by sheer bandwidth, performance-wise. They've been refining the specification, though, and DDR2-533 isn't quite as pathetic as it used to be.

DDR3 is usually seen marked as GDDR3. I'm not sure if it's based on DDR2 or just riding the name, but it's currently only to be found on graphics cards. I've heard talk of a GDDR4 but know very little about it. DDR3 and XDR are teh current frontrunners to replace DDR/2 on the desktop. As far as performance is concerned, the tea leaves suggest that XDR may be the better choice. Unfortunately, that's a RAMBUS technology. So all hail DDR3!

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#14 14 years ago

Im just cureos, but my Pc accepts a few types of RAM and they vary in MHz, would the one with the highest Hz have best performance?

Thanks

Chandu

I want to be like the Admins

50 XP

28th November 2005

0 Uploads

220 Posts

0 Threads

#15 14 years ago

As of now the best I believe is 533MHz. check whether your PC supports it or not.