RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Just wow...I have been so impressed from what I have see in the 4800 series. I didn't expect it. Not since the 9800 XT did I actually prefer ATi/AMD over nVIDIA. Sure the x1900s were good cards, but really, they were pretty close to neck and neck with nVIDIAs 7900s rather than ahead. The 3800s didn't impress me, good bang for your buck, but they didn't exactly "take the lead" in price/preformance from nVIDIA. Imagine if AMD decided to release a card to compete in the high end. Revamp their new card to match nVIDIAs GTX 280 in specifications. Double the memory from 512MB to 1GB, the bandwidth from 256-bit to 512-bit, the texture units from 40 to 80, and the ROPs from 16 to 32, and of course increase the transistor count. They could easily increase the die size and still have a smaller one then nVIDIA's latest flagship card. What would we get? I would say a beast that would devour the 280 GTX no doubt. Not just that, but lately a lot of things are turning my head away from nVIDIA's spotlight and onto AMD. nVIDIA released drivers that increase preformance of your card in physics applications, and greatly increased nVIDIA systems in 3DMark Vantage. This same software has been ported onto an AMD system, allowing them to compete in the same way. Ray tracing to! something the geforce cards at this time are not capable of good results, the 4800s can do absolutely brilliant! The future is looking bright!

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Yes, the new ATI's are pretty damn impressive. Even some of the seemingly diehard Nvidia fans here are being converted! I don't think they need to revamp it at all though. The 4870 already competes with the GTX 280 very well, giving 90-95% of the performance in a lot of games (usually only 5-10fps slower), while costing less than half the amount.

Wait for the 4870X2 though, That might just be the GTX 280 killer your waiting for. If they simply stick two 4870 GPU's on one card like they did with the 3870X2, that would equal 1600 shaders on one card!

I think its safe to say ATI is going to (or already has) won this round.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

ATI won June 2008 hands down. Unanimous decision. Sure, NVIDIA still wins for raw performance, but ATI has played the part of plucky--and persistent--opponent that came out on top in the end.

I'm personally reserving judgment on the HD 4870X2, but the rumours running around now are that ATI has decided to sent the 3870X2's "Crossfire-on-a-card" solution to the bin in favour of "something" that it apparently going to scale much better. We'll see... they're being awfully tight-lipped about it.

Next up? I say ATI doesn't do much until 4870X2 is launched, but I wager that NVIDIA will EOL both the 8800GT and 8800GTS within the next 90 days, dump their stock of 9800GTX cards and EOL those as well, and drop the 9800GTX+ to $160 or so. They're probably going to take it in the shorts with that, but need to do so to stay competitive. By October, I think we'll also see a die shrink on GT200 to TMSC's 55nm process, but without any major changes--perhaps just a speed bump and maybe a price drop (GTX 260, anyone?).

Sucks to be a retailer right now, but it's a beautiful time to be a buyer!

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago
4890/4970

:confused:

I think you meant 4850 & 4870.

And yes, they are impressive. Both take the crown for price/performance. Now let's just hope AMD does better than ATI has in the past with drivers. That's really been my only beef with ATI over the years.

RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago
Oblivious;4405481:confused: I think you meant 4850 & 4870. And yes, they are impressive. Both take the crown for price/performance. Now let's just hope AMD does better than ATI has in the past with drivers. That's really been my only beef with ATI over the years.

Nope, the 4890/4970 thingy was saying what if they made a card with some of the beefy specs the GTX 280 has over the 4870. Could u imagine the preformance? I never said they needed to, but WHAT if they did revamp the card to the specs i posted? IT WOULD BE TRULY INSANE!

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

lol, ahhh... Now I understand. :)

I suspect that ATI will come out with something later this year that will knock our socks off, but so will nvidia. Nice to see the dogfight is back!

RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago
Oblivious;4405819lol, ahhh... Now I understand. :) I suspect that ATI will come out with something later this year that will knock our socks off, but so will nvidia. Nice to see the dogfight is back!

Hells yeah! I mean I'm still an nVIDIA fanboy and what all this means to me is that nVIDIA is going to be forced to compete and release something better! Atm I would recommend the 4800s, but if it was me lookin in the graphics card market, I would personally wait til nVIDIA releases their next cards in round 2 of this fight.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

Needless to say, with such close competition to Nvidia's flagship card at such a lower price, the criteria to crown the GPU king should indeed be number of units sold, not whom has the fastest GPU. I tend to think common sense will prevail and many will opt for the resonably priced ATI cards rather than worrying about having the fastest card. Interesting idea Rob, but in adding so much GPU power I think it would more likely be dubbed the 5870 than 4890. I mean by God it would be like two 4870 X2s in Crossfire or even better! I think they'd have to come up with a better cooling solution though. However, most of the ATI cards seem to be adjusted too slow in the GPU fan settings too.

RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago
C38368;4405313Next up? I say ATI doesn't do much until 4870X2 is launched, but I wager that NVIDIA will EOL both the 8800GT and 8800GTS within the next 90 days, dump their stock of 9800GTX cards and EOL those as well, and drop the 9800GTX+ to $160 or so. They're probably going to take it in the shorts with that, but need to do so to stay competitive. By October, I think we'll also see a die shrink on GT200 to TMSC's 55nm process, but without any major changes--perhaps just a speed bump and maybe a price drop (GTX 260, anyone?).

I would like to add, I am SO not a fan of Multi GPU systems. In my opinion it should only be necisarry when you cant get a faster single GPU solution. I hate this stupid x2 9600 GTs will be close to a 9800 GTX garbage. If the same preformance can be brought by one card compared to two I honestly do not care about multi GPU. Simple as that. I hate all the GX2s and X2s ect... Crossfire and SLi should never be mainstream or even high end. It should only be for those small few people who have to have the absolute best in preformance.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago
RadioShackRobI hate all the GX2s and X2s ect... Crossfire and SLi should never be mainstream or even high end. It should only be for those small few people who have to have the absolute best in preformance.

That is one good thing about the X2 and GX2 cards though, you get the performance of two cards in SLI, all packed onto a single card (not single GPU, but a single physical card).

They let you have SLI or Crossfire performance without having to have a SLI or Crossfire board, they don't take up as many expansion slots, and (i would imagine) makes less heat and use less power.