Radeon 9800 Pro - Rendering problems 9 replies

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, new here I was just hoping that some of you's could help me sort out a problem that I've been experiencing, not for the first time either. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my 9800 Pro, and fairly certain it's got to do with rendering OpenGL graphics in games.

I'm no expert, but I thought that Oblivion and Fable weren't supposed to be played exactly with disconnected lines and polygons splayed across the screen, which tend to be connected to the center of the screen. I've upgraded my software to the latest Catalyst 6.11, and I still get this problem. Let me show you to start off with (vids filmed using Fraps):

http://hosted.filefront.com/awesomestreak/

If you look at the Fable and Oblivion videos, you'll see my problem...which sucks. I have yet to upgrade the BIOS on my card, but if anyone could give their two cents I would appreciate it! All the other DirectX games run fine, like NFS Carbon, NFS Most Wanted, Call Of Duty 2, Serious Sam 2 (I'm not entirely certain which games are DirectX and which is OpenGL, but yeah.....)

Sorry to talk alot :) Harley

Rookie VIP Member

128,030 XP

3rd May 2005

0 Uploads

11,953 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago
me-myself;3402194Hey guys, new here I was just hoping that some of you's could help me sort out a problem that I've been experiencing, not for the first time either. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my 9800 Pro

I'm gonna stop you right there and suggest that you consider getting a new card. :p

The effect you're describing is extremely common to a lot of 9800s, it's called artifacting and occurs when the graphics card is overheating. In this case it's usually due to ATI's absymal cooling solution, and the fact that the card is extremely inefficient - in that it generates a shitload of heat.

You could try fitting an aftermarket cooling unit (not too difficult to do, and relatively cheap), however by the time artifacts start appearing the damage is usually done. I've witnessed two 9800s die a horrible, grisly death shortly after they started to exhibit artifacting.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 11 years ago

Rookie_42;3402239I'm gonna stop you right there and suggest that you consider getting a new card. :p

The effect you're describing is extremely common to a lot of 9800s, it's called artifacting and occurs when the graphics card is overheating. In this case it's usually due to ATI's absymal cooling solution, and the fact that the card is extremely inefficient - in that it generates a shitload of heat.

You could try fitting an aftermarket cooling unit (not too difficult to do, and relatively cheap), however by the time artifacts start appearing the damage is usually done. I've witnessed two 9800s die a horrible, grisly death shortly after they started to exhibit artifacting.

ouch :p that sounds pretty bad lol. It does generate a heck of a lot of warmness, and also (whether this is relative or not) when the system is booting up (I assume, using the g.card without the drivers) it shows a lot of colored dots and things flitting around. It also does this with certain images and also in the games I mentioned. I've always wanted a 7800 GTX...hmm... Thanks for all your help! Maybe I can get dad to cough up some money if I tell him about the grisly death thing ;) My motherboard (ASUS A7N8X-X) has an integrated (don't laugh) nForce 2 package, including sound and graphics. Would that be any better or worse than the Radeon? I guess it's always a backup when the 9800 finally carks it. My processor's also an Athlon 3000+ XP, running at 2.17 GHz *sheepish grin*. I'm pretty sure using the nForce chips would affect what power the processor has, right? At the very least, make it run a bit harder with more heat lol... Thanks in advance!

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

me-myself My motherboard (ASUS A7N8X-X) has an integrated (don't laugh) nForce 2 package, including sound and graphics. Would that be any better or worse than the Radeon?[/quote]

That would be much worse than your 9800.

I'm pretty sure using the nForce chips would affect what power the processor has, right? At the very least, make it run a bit harder with more heat lol

Nah, a nForce chipset won't make your processor run any faster.

Your card is probably so going to die, i would start looking at some new AGP cards right away.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 11 years ago

-StaticX-;3402564That would be much worse than your 9800.

I'm pretty sure using the nForce chips would affect what power the processor has, right? At the very least, make it run a bit harder with more heat lol[/quote]

Nah, a nForce chipset won't make your processor run any faster.

Your card is probably so going to die, i would start looking at some new AGP cards right away.

Righto, will do! Thanks a lot man!

(+5@1312EWULFX+)

The Devil's Reject

50 XP

8th February 2006

0 Uploads

299 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago
me-myself;3402194Hey guys, new here I was just hoping that some of you's could help me sort out a problem that I've been experiencing, not for the first time either. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my 9800 Pro, and fairly certain it's got to do with rendering OpenGL graphics in games. I'm no expert, but I thought that Oblivion and Fable weren't supposed to be played exactly with disconnected lines and polygons splayed across the screen, which tend to be connected to the center of the screen. I've upgraded my software to the latest Catalyst 6.11, and I still get this problem. Let me show you to start off with (vids filmed using Fraps): http://hosted.filefront.com/awesomestreak/ If you look at the Fable and Oblivion videos, you'll see my problem...which sucks. I have yet to upgrade the BIOS on my card, but if anyone could give their two cents I would appreciate it! All the other DirectX games run fine, like NFS Carbon, NFS Most Wanted, Call Of Duty 2, Serious Sam 2 (I'm not entirely certain which games are DirectX and which is OpenGL, but yeah.....) Sorry to talk alot :) Harley

I have a 9800PRO ALL IN WONDER its a pice of crap. it'll constanly gets so hot you cant touch it and when its pluged in half the time it wont let my other pc start cause its power supply plug is screwed up. Quite possibly the worst card ive ever owned. Sorry i dont have anything good to say about the card thats my experience with it.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago

At the time, aside from it's big bro the 9800XT the 9800 Pro was basically the most powerful card on the market. However the sacrifices you make to get that power are often catastrophic - ie artifacting, overheating, dead cards etc. And by the time people started to realise and cards started to physically die, it was far too late for most people.

Some Lazy Dr

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

27th November 2006

0 Uploads

19 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago

And to think I actually once considered buying these cards... I heard great things about them.

Course, they don't last long do they? My FX5200 had artifacting in which polygons would appear out of nowhere. The manufactuer had a bad repuation, but I was new to technology back then. Funny thing is, it only happened to Direct3D games. But the artifacting was once and a while and it wasn't as extreme as yours is (though mine was rather pesky).

Trash the 9800. Get a X800. Or a 6800. Make sure it's from a reliable maker and put a copper heatsink on one. I haven't heard of X800 issues or 6800 issues other then caused from the power supply. So, you should be fine.

I have a Nforce 2 based board (VIA KT-600), with a AMD SempronXP 3000+ (really a renamed AthlonXP 2400+). I managed to clock this baby up to 2.16ghz (12*180). :-D. I like Socket A, though I feel somewhat abandoned. It's a good technology. I'd rather have Athlon64 AM2, but I can't complain.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#9 11 years ago

Well that's the problem with reviews and new technology. They can tell you how powerful a card is and make judgement based on price, power and so on but they can't tell you whether it'll still work just as well 3 years down the line. It's just like a road test of a car will tell you how it accelerates and corners, and whether you get backache from the seats on a long motorway journey. They can't tell you whether it'll still be working in 10 years time with 200,000 miles on the clock.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#10 11 years ago