Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I'm really frustrated with this phone. I love the way it should work, but it just is quirky and glitchy and sometimes just can't handle basic functionality. Here's a listing of the things that are wrong with it/it doesn't handle well:

• *Phone calls. The service where I live with my carrier is really bad, but going from my cheap old Samsung Gravity Txt I was hoping it would get better. It didn't get better, it got worse to the point where it's hit or miss whether I can make calls inside my home anymore. With only 1 or 2 exceptions I can't make calls from any of the buildings on campus, nor send/receive texts. The plus is that if it fails to send a text it will keep trying until it sends rather than just giving up. The Microphone. Something happened to the phone to where the microphone only works on speaker phone and when taking video there is a constant clicking sound on the recorded audio. This is a disappointment because this thing can take some otherwise very good video *File Transferring. When connected to my computer through either USB 2.0 or 3.0, file transfers are nice and fast. Until the phone times out and locks. Then you have to physically disconnect and reconnect the phone and re unlock the phone to continue the transfer. Why? *Auto-dimming and Orientation  Lag. The phone is set to auto-darken/brighten but about 30% of the time the phone doesn't. This is especially frustrating when outside on a sunny day and the phone brightness is set to its minimum (no, it's not because the battery is almost dead). I just have to restart the phone or deal with it when this happens. Similarly the auto-orientation sometimes just doesn't work. Today I was trying to take a series of photos of papers with the phone and it kept orienting itself to be upside down. I tilted it the other way and it oriented itself to be upside down again! In general, it can  take 2-10 seconds for it to re-orient itself and sometimes it just doesn't re-orient itself at all. Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? I've never had this issue on any other device. *General Visual Glitches/Lag. When I go to unlock the phone, the home screen sometimes takes a bit of time to load - sometimes 10 seconds or more. In the meantime I'm left looking at whatever app I had open last trying to interface with it to no avail. It's just laggy at times. Other times, it's as fast and snappy as I can push it to be. *Stupid Ads. This is more of a general complaint, but I installed a free flashlight app  and since have been getting ads in the form of notifications on my home screen? Ads for a single-button flashlight app, really? Ads on my home screen, really? Maybe you can turn them off, but it shouldn't even be something the Android developers should consider allowing. It's just insane.

That might actually be the extent of my rant. About half of these complaints are probably hardware/wear related, but the other half have to do with frustration with the state of things. It's like you've got this amazing new Porsche with just one minor problem: they ran out of round tires at wheel #3 so your 4th wheel has a square tire and now you'd rather be on a bicycle than own your otherwise awesome car. 

That is all.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Superfluous Curmudgeon I'm really frustrated with this phone. I love the way it should work, but it just is quirky and glitchy and sometimes just can't handle basic functionality. Here's a listing of the things that are wrong with it/it doesn't handle well:

*Phone calls. The service where I live with my carrier is really bad, but going from my cheap old Samsung Gravity Txt I was hoping it would get better. It didn't get better, it got worse to the point where it's hit or miss whether I can make calls inside my home anymore. With only 1 or 2 exceptions I can't make calls from any of the buildings on campus, nor send/receive texts. The plus is that if it fails to send a text it will keep trying until it sends rather than just giving up.

[/quote]

This sounds like a carrier issue in the area, to be fair.

Often, I believe in the US more so than elsewhere, if you call the carrier and explain you have poor signal, they'll send you a little gadget that you can plug into a home router that acts like a minature base station, and will give you cell signal inside your home.

Might be worth trying that?

Superfluous Curmudgeon The Microphone. Something happened to the phone to where the microphone only works on speaker phone and when taking video there is a constant clicking sound on the recorded audio. This is a disappointment because this thing can take some otherwise very good video [/quote]

That sounds like a faulty unit. If you didn't drop or damage it, then get it replaced under warranty or via your carrier.

Superfluous Curmudgeon *File Transferring. When connected to my computer through either USB 2.0 or 3.0, file transfers are nice and fast. Until the phone times out and locks. Then you have to physically disconnect and reconnect the phone and re unlock the phone to continue the transfer. Why?

Probably a security feature, I'm not too sure but there may be an option to change the timeout settings on the phone for when it is plugged into power?

[quote=Superfluous Curmudgeon ] *Auto-dimming and Orientation  Lag. The phone is set to auto-darken/brighten but about 30% of the time the phone doesn't. This is especially frustrating when outside on a sunny day and the phone brightness is set to its minimum (no, it's not because the battery is almost dead). I just have to restart the phone or deal with it when this happens. Similarly the auto-orientation sometimes just doesn't work. Today I was trying to take a series of photos of papers with the phone and it kept orienting itself to be upside down. I tilted it the other way and it oriented itself to be upside down again! In general, it can  take 2-10 seconds for it to re-orient itself and sometimes it just doesn't re-orient itself at all. Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? I've never had this issue on any other device.

*General Visual Glitches/Lag. When I go to unlock the phone, the home screen sometimes takes a bit of time to load - sometimes 10 seconds or more. In the meantime I'm left looking at whatever app I had open last trying to interface with it to no avail. It's just laggy at times. Other times, it's as fast and snappy as I can push it to be.

This sounds pretty bad, can't really suggest what's going on there though. Perhaps an Android expert can chime on this one.

[quote=Superfluous Curmudgeon ] *Stupid Ads. This is more of a general complaint, but I installed a free flashlight app  and since have been getting ads in the form of notifications on my home screen? Ads for a single-button flashlight app, really? Ads on my home screen, really? Maybe you can turn them off, but it shouldn't even be something the Android developers should consider allowing. It's just insane. That might actually be the extent of my rant. About half of these complaints are probably hardware/wear related, but the other half have to do with frustration with the state of things. It's like you've got this amazing new Porsche with just one minor problem: they ran out of round tires at wheel #3 so your 4th wheel has a square tire and now you'd rather be on a bicycle than own your otherwise awesome car. 

That is all.

That's pretty how apps are, on any phone unfortunately. Pay for them or get ads, basically.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#3 2 years ago
Superfluous Curmudgeon *Phone calls. The service where I live with my carrier is really bad, but going from my cheap old Samsung Gravity Txt I was hoping it would get better. It didn't get better, it got worse to the point where it's hit or miss whether I can make calls inside my home anymore. With only 1 or 2 exceptions I can't make calls from any of the buildings on campus, nor send/receive texts. The plus is that if it fails to send a text it will keep trying until it sends rather than just giving up.

As FT says, get a signal booster from your provider.

The Microphone. Something happened to the phone to where the microphone only works on speaker phone and when taking video there is a constant clicking sound on the recorded audio. This is a disappointment because this thing can take some otherwise very good video

This sounds like a hardware failure. Take it back!

*File Transferring. When connected to my computer through either USB 2.0 or 3.0, file transfers are nice and fast. Until the phone times out and locks. Then you have to physically disconnect and reconnect the phone and re unlock the phone to continue the transfer. Why?

This is indeed a security feature. The best way around it would be to disable the autolock during the file transfer process. I'm not sure if a computer can be classed as a trusted device in security settings, but it may be possible to do this too.

*Auto-dimming and Orientation  Lag. The phone is set to auto-darken/brighten but about 30% of the time the phone doesn't. This is especially frustrating when outside on a sunny day and the phone brightness is set to its minimum (no, it's not because the battery is almost dead). I just have to restart the phone or deal with it when this happens. Similarly the auto-orientation sometimes just doesn't work. Today I was trying to take a series of photos of papers with the phone and it kept orienting itself to be upside down. I tilted it the other way and it oriented itself to be upside down again! In general, it can  take 2-10 seconds for it to re-orient itself and sometimes it just doesn't re-orient itself at all. Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? I've never had this issue on any other device.

Are you sure you've not dropped the thing? Between this and the microphone problem, it sounds like some stuff's been dislodged in the thing.

Although I will say that having recently jumped ship from an iPhone to a Galaxy S7, it's ability (or lack thereof) to sense ambient light levels is frustratingly poor by comparison, so that part might just be a Samsung problem.

*General Visual Glitches/Lag. When I go to unlock the phone, the home screen sometimes takes a bit of time to load - sometimes 10 seconds or more. In the meantime I'm left looking at whatever app I had open last trying to interface with it to no avail. It's just laggy at times. Other times, it's as fast and snappy as I can push it to be.

How many apps do you have running in the background? If it's a lot, try closing some.

*Stupid Ads. This is more of a general complaint, but I installed a free flashlight app  and since have been getting ads in the form of notifications on my home screen? Ads for a single-button flashlight app, really? Ads on my home screen, really? Maybe you can turn them off, but it shouldn't even be something the Android developers should consider allowing. It's just insane.

This is the same on Android and iOS phones across the 'verse, and most likely on Windows phones too.

I'm curious as to why you need a flashlight app when there's one built in to most phones these days. Just put the torch on your quick settings bar; it works well enough and involves just a swipe down and a click, whether your phone is locked or not.

That might actually be the extent of my rant. About half of these complaints are probably hardware/wear related, but the other half have to do with frustration with the state of things. It's like you've got this amazing new Porsche with just one minor problem: they ran out of round tires at wheel #3 so your 4th wheel has a square tire and now you'd rather be on a bicycle than own your otherwise awesome car. 

That is all.

I'm assuming it's still under warranty. That microphone stuff sounds like a hardware fault, at the very least.

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Right, I forgot to mention that I purchased the phone used a few months ago. It was pretty battered but amazingly the screen was still in good shape. It actually came with a broken charging port (It clearly stated that this was the case) but I bought it anyways thinking I'd just replace it and be good to go. I didn't think about the implication that a broken charging port meant an abused phone, but that's what I get. When I afford it I might look for a new phone but I'll probably need to live with this one for at least a year or two. Maybe I can "repair" it...

As far as the light app goes, I wasn't able to find one on the phone and still cannot find one even after googling how to use it so I suspect that it was uninstalled by the previous user. Maybe a factory reset is in order.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Superfluous Curmudgeon Right, I forgot to mention that I purchased the phone used a few months ago. It was pretty battered but amazingly the screen was still in good shape. It actually came with a broken charging port (It clearly stated that this was the case) but I bought it anyways thinking I'd just replace it and be good to go. I didn't think about the implication that a broken charging port meant an abused phone, but that's what I get. When I afford it I might look for a new phone but I'll probably need to live with this one for at least a year or two. Maybe I can "repair" it...

As far as the light app goes, I wasn't able to find one on the phone and still cannot find one even after googling how to use it so I suspect that it was uninstalled by the previous user. Maybe a factory reset is in order. 

Heh, you can't push the blame on the product when the phone is used and likely abused. :p

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#6 2 years ago
FileTrekker Heh, you can't push the blame on the product when the phone is used and likely abused.

Notice that I didn't once say I wanted to shoot whoever developed the phone. I said I want to shoot my phone.:naughty:

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#7 2 years ago
Superfluous Curmudgeon Right, I forgot to mention that I purchased the phone used a few months ago. It was pretty battered but amazingly the screen was still in good shape. It actually came with a broken charging port (It clearly stated that this was the case) but I bought it anyways thinking I'd just replace it and be good to go. I didn't think about the implication that a broken charging port meant an abused phone, but that's what I get. When I afford it I might look for a new phone but I'll probably need to live with this one for at least a year or two. Maybe I can "repair" it...

Suddenly, it all makes sense.

I can only go by my S7, the only Android phone I've ever used, but if you pull down the quick settings bar all the way (i.e. not just the first row, but the whole panel), there should be an app called "Torch" (that may just be what it's called in Traditional English). It can't be uninstalled - it isn't even an 'app' really.