Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

My current mobile phone has been a Razr V3 (The original with no MicroSD or improved camera) through T-Mobile. I bought it with a contract so I paid only $20 for it brand new in the box back when they were going for about $150-200. It's been a decent phone, but I'd like a phone with some more features or at least some better ones. I've got the chance to get a Samsung T629 for T-Mobile from a guy for $70. Does anyone have one of these to speak for it? I'd mainly like to be able to play music, EASILY transfer stuff like custom ringtones (I had to use a sound editor and then buy a Bluetooth adaptor just to put some of my own music clips on my phone and it can only hold three short clips - gotta love internal memory!), still have good call quality, something that is average to small sized, etc. I don't care one iota about text messaging, I never do it and I didn't sign up for it so it costs me per message. I've heard some phones allow you to have a contact name and then have several phone numbers for that contact so that would be nice too. Ironicly, the Razr was my first cell phone and so the features it has are all I know. Stuff like a to do list and things like that would be nice but I know that is mainly on the Treos and other PDA like phones so I'm not going to drop the kind of cash it'd take for one of those. Would you all recommend this phone or is there another you'd recommend? (Please keep in mind I'm going through T-Mobile)

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago
I've heard some phones allow you to have a contact name and then have several phone numbers for that contact so that would be nice too.

If it helps your decision, all Samsung phones (including Windows Mobile variations) do just that. In fact, that is what always bothered me about Motorola phones - having to add separate contact entries for the same person. I used to have a Samsung D820 which is quite comparable in form and function to the T629. I was very happy with it. I had it for over 2 years and only replaced it because my wife decided to send it for a "swim" (she knocked it into the kitchen sink, full of water, while it was charging). I am partial to Samsung products (especially their sliders as far as non-PDA phones go), and would advise you to go with the T629 or something similar such as the T-mobile Blast, Katalyst or T819.

Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

I forgot to ask, does that T629 have all the same features I have plus more?

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

The T629 has a MicroSD slot, bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP (bluetooth stereo) and is bluetooth data transfer capable, has a MP3/music player and a 1.3 MP camera + of all the other features that the Razr V3 has.

Guyver VIP Member

Dark System LordResiding In Insanity

41,090 XP

10th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,734 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Samsung SGH-T629 Specs & Features (Phone Scoop)

Everything you could want to know about the Samsung T629 is in that link. There's also a tab for reviews by other people that have used that phone. Hope it helps you out.

Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

After reading some of those reviews, I'm not sure who to believe more. Does the Samsung have a good battery life? Some people on there said it was horrible others said it was great.

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

It all depends on your usage patterns. I used my D820's MP3 player very heavily with bluetooth headphones. A constant bluetooth signal uses up more juice than talking does. A full charge would last roughly 4 hours of non-stop music listening - pretty fair in my opinion. Nevertheless, I remedied this by purchasing a second battery and an independent battery charger (you can find 'em cheap on eBay) to charge while the other was in use. If you plan on using wired headphones or don't plan on using the MP3 player much at all, then battery life shouldn't be much of a problem. Just make sure that the bluetooth service is deactivated if that is the case. Those that complained about battery life probably had bluetooth turn on all the time and/or were using it in pair with a bluetooth device regularly. When I wasn't using my MP3 player, save for unusually long instances of talking, I could go a couple of days w/o a charge. Keep in mind that the standard battery for a T629 has a higher mAh rating that the battery for my model too.

arcadeplayer987

Revenge was here.

50 XP

25th April 2007

0 Uploads

1,819 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

I had both Motorola and Samsung product and I can tell Samsung is much better and the baterry life is decent

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

Is it just me that thinks that phone is a bit old to be paying that much money for? It also seems that with that phone you're moving to the Samsung equivalent (aside from the memory slot), rather than actually getting a proper upgrade?

I don't know how it works in the US, but here if you've had the phone that long you'd be entitled to a free (or subsidised) upgrade on almost any contract/provider.

As for battery life, I've not got that one but I did have a D500 and I've now got the U600. Both of them had pretty solid standby and talk times, but any extras such as playing mp3s, using the camera and having bluetooth activated drain the battery pretty fast on both phones. If you use it simply as a phone it'll probably last a few days between charges, but if you use the features heavily you'll be plugging it in every night.