N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

Well I realize now that I have a very substantial cash flow from my job and I could easily purchase a Asus EN8800GTX [rated best high-end video card by MaximumPC, as well as many other hardware enthusiasts.] and my system could support it power-wise and cooling issues as well. I just bought a 7950GT but I suppose I could give that to my brother who plays a lot of Warcraft3, CityOfHeroes, Oblivion, etc.

I don't use Vista, I'm still waiting for some patches, but how long would I have to wait for a better DX10 card than the GTX? I looked at AMD's new card and at best it's like 20% better; not very energetic numbers to me. I want my video card to have a long run like I had with my Radeon 9800 Pro XT 256 [bought in like 2000!].

Dark Saint

How many dogs are Pb'd?Maybe 2

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

8,040 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

At this point.... You won't have that kind of luck anymore. I had a great run with my 9500 pro which ran everything up to morrowind when it came out.

No matter what you buy at this point you will ALWAYS be behind. It isn't the way it was before when you could get a good year or two out of your video card. So buy, and prepare to be " amazed " at the next card coming out. Or..... Save yourself some money and just use the 7800gt that is playing everything right now .

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

Merrick is right. You won't have any long runs with a VGA anymore (as far as staying top-of-the-line). The industry is just too competetive now. But if you have money to burn, next to the 8800 ultra (which in my opinion is just a waste of money) the GTX is the best on the market. I would go with the EVGA version though. EVGA has a 90 day step-up program which gives you full purchase price credit toward a new one if you upgrade within 3 months.

EtherLaser

Prepare to be purified!

50 XP

23rd March 2007

0 Uploads

711 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago
n88tr;3699639I looked at AMD's new card and at best it's like 20% better; not very energetic numbers to me.

The HD Radeon 2900 XT can't outpace the 640MB 8800 GTS at high-resolutions with lots of AA and AF so it is no match against the GTX.

As Merrick said you'll never be able to keep up to date unless your pay is similar to that of a lawyer or other stupidly-rich job.

You might as well stick with the 7950 GT that you have, that will stick by you comfortably in gaming. DX10 is as yet still untested properly for gaming (exception to a couple of demos) and you should wait til a few games have been formally released and tested.

On a side note, if you don't use Vista then what's the point in wanting a DX10 card? Or do you simply want the power in DirectX 9 games? ;)

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 11 years ago

The 8800 gtx is an amazing card as for right now! It is able to play almost anything maxed out at the higest resoltion you can dream. I'd go for it if i was you. However I am pretty sure the geforce 8900 series are coming out soon.

N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

I looked at the 8800 Ultra and it looks a bit better than a normal GTX but the cost increase hardly makes me jump for joy. I see that the GTX is the current top dog and so far AMD isn't even getting in the high-end game like the GTX is ruling. So why not get one now? Without competition from AMD, their normal big competitor, the only place I can see that competition will come from is from Nvidia themselves with new editions and the 8900 series. Any news/specs or release dates on those cards? I ask because as I see it, the GTX is king of videocards and will have a fairly long run [at least 4 more months on top and 1 year on the high-end market. And I'd keep the GTX for at least 3 years.]

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago

If you are going to get an 8800GTX, like I said before, go with EVGA. If the 8900 series come out within 90 days of your purchase, you can upgrade via the 90 day step-up program with full purchase price credit toward the new one.

Dark Saint

How many dogs are Pb'd?Maybe 2

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

8,040 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago
WildHeart_Sam;3699739The HD Radeon 2900 XT can't outpace the 640MB 8800 GTS at high-resolutions with lots of AA and AF so it is no match against the GTX. As Merrick said you'll never be able to keep up to date unless your pay is similar to that of a lawyer or other stupidly-rich job. You might as well stick with the 7950 GT that you have, that will stick by you comfortably in gaming. DX10 is as yet still untested properly for gaming (exception to a couple of demos) and you should wait til a few games have been formally released and tested. On a side note, if you don't use Vista then what's the point in wanting a DX10 card? Or do you simply want the power in DirectX 9 games? ;)[/quote] People have strange ideas that, the card they get now will last righj up untill DX10 is good to go and vista is playing all games. So they buy a dx10 compatible card. Who knows why they think the way they do ..Lol
n88tr;3703140 [at least 4 more months on top and 1 year on the high-end market. And I'd keep the GTX for at least 3 years.]
I don't think the one year part will be correct with the introduction of dx10. Especially when the new games come out for vista. Just a thought, all the " high end games " that are out now, will become " not soo high end ( enter old jewish man's accent here). Soo, i don't expect them to have a year. [quote=Kwould;3703278]If you are going to get an 8800GTX, like I said before, go with EVGA. If the 8900 series come out within 90 days of your purchase, you can upgrade via the 90 day step-up program with full purchase price credit toward the new one.

LOVE the evga upgrade. Great hook for the company.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 11 years ago
~Merrick;3703623People have strange ideas that, the card they get now will last righj up untill DX10 is good to go and vista is playing all games. So they buy a dx10 compatible card. Who knows why they think the way they do ..Lol

People who buy Geforce 8800's just for DX 10 games are asking for a rip off. The real reason why people buy Geforce 8800's is for there killer profromace in current gen games and look at DX 10 as a sweet bonus.

N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#10 11 years ago

Is there a big performance gap between my 7950GT and a 8800GTX or are they relatively the same if used for only DX9 games?