random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#1 1 year ago

First things first, has to be good as a phone. Whatever has the best battery life long lasting with like a trillion charge cycles to burn through before messing up. That would be one characteristic of a good one, though probably not the only one.

Since I can't really think of much else a phone should have, I guess a few other things that I don't want from my new phone that my old phone had problems with; Speed. Been using a shitty Samsung with Android and less than 1 GB of RAM. Don't know the other specs but it sure had tendency too slow to a standstill and crash apps quite often. I read on Quora using Android doesn't help either because of the way it's implemented and what with being an open source OS there are too many cooks spoiling the broth, though I'll leave the decision on the OS to the more technically minded.

Quality collection of apps to choose from would also be nice. Read a bit of a debate earlier on the forums here that basically went along the lines of there is a larger collection of apps on Google but it has been saturated with crap, apparently, while MS doesn't have nearly as many apps but isn't nearly as saturated with crap. Again, I don't meddle around too much with apps, so if you've had personal experiences with various app markets, feel free to recommend whichever market you believe may be better.

Security is pretty important, however. Then again, I'm not sure which phone would be good at providing that the most. Probably could be fine with an AV app and some smart practices. But seeing as I am only aware of most phones being either put out by MS, Apple or Android, and what with them being owned by corporations with an interest in helping out NSA or whoever, I don't know how a bit more security can be guaranteed. I don't have a target painted on my head for the government but I don't want them fucking around with my phone because I let out a nasty fart near some senator. Probably can't do much about it but It'd be nice to know if somebody has a little reassuring suggestion.

Price should be reasonable for what is being offered. For example, there shouldn't be a situation like this:

https://www.filesnation.com/topic/view/is-there-literally-any-point-in-buying-titan-951690/

Basically, they shouldn't be asking for money that hasn't been earned with the item in question on sale and the price tag should make me feel like I'm buying a phone not a fighter jet.

Last and actually least; If possible, I would like to game on the go. I'll repeat, I still do want a phone, not a tablet or a netbook/ultrabook and gaming is not a necessity, probably less so considering battery life concerns, that is why this is the last and the least feature I require. It would be nice if possible but absolutely not important, that is all.

EDIT: Physical durability is also very important. My Samsung felt like a wafer I could snap between my fingers until I got it a casing that made it feel at last a bit more hefty.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,132 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#2 1 year ago

I have an LG Vista, and it does everything I have ever asked of it.

Also, the best thing you can do is get a folding case. It does a great job of protecting your phone, AND it will also hold your ID, bank card, cash that sort of thing. You have no more need for a wallet at all, because it is all right there in one convenient thingy. 51R3VtYYOEL._SX425_.jpg This is the exact model I have. (Amazon link)

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#3 1 year ago
I like the Galaxy Note 4. Still holds its own but if you want the battery to last more than a day you'd better get an extended one.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,132 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#4 1 year ago

Or get a higher voltage charger, such as a tablet charger. Most chargers are fully interchangeable anyway.

In my own case, the charger that came with my phone takes several hours to fully charge. BUT, the charger that came with my Samsung tablet will fully charge it in 30 minutes flat.

As for extending battery life, leave the WiFi turned off as often as you can. 1: At home, your computer is much better anyway. 2: You will sleep better if your phone is in completely another room. 3: When you leave home, leave the computers at home, and join the real world.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#5 1 year ago

"Lindale"Also, the best thing you can do is get a folding case. It does a great job of protecting your phone, AND it will also hold your ID, bank card, cash that sort of thing. You have no more need for a wallet at all, because it is all right there in one convenient thingy.[/quote]

Doesn't it make it easier for a pickpocket to rob everything from you all at once?

[quote="Lindale"]Or get a higher voltage charger, such as a tablet charger. Most chargers are fully interchangeable anyway.

In my own case, the charger that came with my phone takes several hours to fully charge. BUT, the charger that came with my Samsung tablet will fully charge it in 30 minutes flat.

As for extending battery life, leave the WiFi turned off as often as you can. 1: At home, your computer is much better anyway. 2: You will sleep better if your phone is in completely another room. 3: When you leave home, leave the computers at home, and join the real world.

Yeah I don't use wifi if the computer is available and I mute it whenever I go to sleep. Also place it inside the desk so it doesn't light up. And I definitely agree on your last point. I don't about where you live but I've heard of plenty of people too engrossed in their phones, losing their senses in public that they get mugged, robbed or run over easily.

Anyway, those sound like good suggestions, however, aren't they a little less recent?

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,132 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#6 1 year ago
"random_soldier1337"Doesn't it make it easier for a pickpocket to rob everything from you all at once?[/quote] If you stay away from gangbanger places, you have no need to worry about being mugged, pickpocketed, or robbed in any manner.
"random_soldier1337"I don't about where you live but I've heard of plenty of people too engrossed in their phones, losing their senses in public that they get mugged, robbed or run over easily.
It absolutely happens here. That is part of why I am such the grumpy geezer about people being on their phones. [quote="random_soldier1337"]Anyway, those sound like good suggestions, however, aren't they a little less recent?

That depends on what you mean by recent. My LG is a few years old, as is the case, but it has never failed me. I am one to keep a phone until it literally disintegrates. Either way, a brand new LG is basically the same as what I have, only a bit more shiny. I think the newest LG is called the Premier, so that is my personal suggestion.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#7 1 year ago
"Lindale"That depends on what you mean by recent. My LG is a few years old, as is the case, but it has never failed me. I am one to keep a phone until it literally disintegrates. Either way, a brand new LG is basically the same as what I have, only a bit more shiny. I think the newest LG is called the Premier, so that is my personal suggestion.

No thank you to the LG premier. It has a battery that is worse than the one in the phone you suggested earlier. I suppose older phones might not be all that bad.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,132 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Older is cheaper as well, because everyone only wants the newest stuff.

That said, my tablet charger can charge a phone in 30 minutes. So even if the Premier does have a short battery, I can certainly find 30 minutes a day to put it on the charger. Maybe I could do that while I am doing all my shower stuff.

(Very important. Get a tablet charger. They are much higher voltage, so they do the job much faster. A phone charger takes at least two hours, while a tablet charger only needs 30 minutes.)

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#9 1 year ago

"Lindale"Older is cheaper as well, because everyone only wants the newest stuff.

That said, my tablet charger can charge a phone in 30 minutes. So even if the Premier does have a short battery, I can certainly find 30 minutes a day to put it on the charger. Maybe I could do that while I am doing all my shower stuff.

(Very important. Get a tablet charger. They are much higher voltage, so they do the job much faster. A phone charger takes at least two hours, while a tablet charger only needs 30 minutes.)

Is it possible to buy a tablet charger without the tablet? And also could you compare the specs of the phone charger and the tablet charger to see if this is the only major difference? Let's just make sure there won't be any adverse effects to doing this.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,373 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,521 Posts

1,748 Threads

#10 1 year ago
"random_soldier1337"Is it possible to buy a tablet charger without the tablet? And also could you compare the specs of the phone charger and the tablet charger to see if this is the only major difference? Let's just make sure there won't be any adverse effects to doing this.

You just need a charger that will provide the full 5 volts at 1 amp, or so-called fast chargers, they're readily available on Amazon etc.

You can't have adverse effects because the device will simply draw the maximum it is able to draw, but it won't draw over, even if the charger is capable of providing it more.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com