TheClairvoyant

Living is the same as dying.

50 XP

22nd June 2009

0 Uploads

71 Posts

0 Threads

#1 9 years ago

Is 768kbs any good for online gaming? I'll be getting a new computer soon, and I want to be able to play Crysis Wars, Call of Duty: WaW, Left 4 Dead, Dawn of War 2, etc. online with acceptable latency. I play WoW now, usually with about 50-250ms latency, but I'm not sure if it's different with more graphically demanding games, as my computer can hardly even run WoW at minimal settings. Will I be getting killed unnecessarily in fps games due to lag or should I be fine with my current internet?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 9 years ago

:moved: from General Gaming forum to Tech Discussion forum. This forum seems like a better place for this thread to me.

TheClairvoyant

50 XP

22nd June 2009

0 Uploads

71 Posts

0 Threads

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure which one it would go in :rolleyes:. Thanks for moving it.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 9 years ago

Hmm... no replies so far. Where are the local tech experts where you need them? =p I'm afraid I can't help you much, but perhaps posting your full computer specifications would be a good idea. I'm sure someone would ask you for them sooner or later anyway.

TheClairvoyant

50 XP

22nd June 2009

0 Uploads

71 Posts

0 Threads

#5 9 years ago
Now, i have an AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8GHz, 714MB of RAM, and a GeForce 6200 256MB (It's not PCIe :uhm:). When I upgrade, it's gonna be close to http://forums.filefront.com/tech-discussion/403894-kickass-now-kickass-later.html Like I said, I'm not sure if more graphically intense games take up more internet bandwidth. If not, I should be pretty good, but if they do, I'll probably have to upgrade.

Goody. VIP Member

Former Network Admin and Former Forum Admin

98,478 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,392 Posts

3 Threads

#6 9 years ago

While download speed is a factor upload speed is more important for gaming. It also depends on your proximity to the server. 768 kbs is not that fast at all by todays standards but without knowing what sort of upload speed you will be giving a definate yes or no would be difficult.

TheClairvoyant

50 XP

22nd June 2009

0 Uploads

71 Posts

0 Threads

#7 9 years ago
kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#8 9 years ago

It will be more than fine for gaming. While you wont get very good pings across the country, local servers or dallas/ chi servers should be fine.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#9 9 years ago

Faster internet is always a good thing, but as kow has said you should be fine although sticking to local servers would help a lot.

Most games have the option to filter by ping, the lowest of which will almost certainly be the 'local' servers. Just restrict yourself to those low-ping servers and you should be fine. Thankfully other games aren't like WoW where you connect to one place and that's it, I used to get around 20-30ms on games like CounterStrike and Battlefield 1942 when I was on that speed of internet just because there were servers hosted within 200 miles or so of me.

TheClairvoyant

50 XP

22nd June 2009

0 Uploads

71 Posts

0 Threads

#10 9 years ago

I'd like to try to haggle Roadrunner to get at least 3mbs for cheaper than advertised, because right now, I'm paying $26.99/mo for 768kbs. Seems like kind of a ripoff to me. There are two other people who live next to me who get it for $20, but the representatives seem to turn a deaf ear when I mention these people...