Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Global Recall 7 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,396 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So I think I'm a bit late to the party here, but I just heard that Samsung are doing a mass global recall of the Galaxy Note 7 due to the fact that their batteries have a tiny, minor problem where they may spontaneously turn into a grenade.

I know 35 cases out of 2.5 million devices is a small percentage, but it's way too high a percentage. I wouldn't be comfortable owning one right now, and I'm glad I went off getting one and got the iPhone instead.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has the device and if so, what do you plan to do, keep it, swap it or get a totally new device?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,744 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,216 Posts

2 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I knew directly something like that was going on when I saw a meme on facebook much similar to this one:

Spoiler: Show
note-7-nagy.jpg

Fun age we live in where you can find out about the world around you through memes.

Anyway, I JUST got the Galaxy J5 on the mail today (because my last phone died too...), so I'm not that worried. Sucks for those who got the spontaneous grenade phones tho; I imagine they offer some sort of compensation, right?

qjyUJrq.png

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,338 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,847 Posts

213 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Personally I'd just send it back and get my brand new shiney one.

I don't want a grenade. I want a phone.

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,838 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#4 2 years ago

This is a good story which gets even better if you appreciate the irony of a company making batteries non-removeable to force customers to buy a replacement phone after a year or two.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#5 2 years ago

This isn't the first time. It won't be the last time, either. Samsung, Apple, Nokia, OnePlus; they all try to shove too much shit into a tiny case, so something's gotta give. I hope everyone gets a replacement. You don't want to lose your leg because you left Angry Birds running.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,336 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,145 Posts

5 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Quality control is very very difficult.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I prefer phones with a removable batterie. My Iphone 4s was a gift, it's batterie can be replaced but not easily as you have to remove the entire screen. I prefer the Samsung that me dearest had, which allowed you to take out the batterie. I'm about to look for a new phone since my 4s died and my temporary replacement phone is failing too. Was not going to be a galaxy note though, too big. 

"MrFancypants"This is a good story which gets even better if you appreciate the irony of a company making batteries non-removeable to force customers to buy a replacement phone after a year or two.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,396 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#8 2 years ago

So apparently there are reports of phones that were returned for repair under the recall were sent back out and still went kaboom...

Given the speed that they made the fix and returned the phones (within a week) some speculate the only changes they made were firmware, to try and patch rather than fully replace the battery - and they're playing with lives as a result.

One thing's for sure, this is one hell of a disaster...

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com