Sony's new 3-layer CMOS phone camera 4 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,355 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,459 Posts

1,702 Threads

#1 1 year ago

There's no question that cameras in smartphones are getting ridiculously good - hell, the camera in my iPhone 6S plus is so good now that I don't bother bringing a DSLR anymore when I go on a trip or whatever else.

They're not perfect yet though, but Sony has announced it's developed the world's first 3 layer stacked CMOS image sensor, with integrated DRAM, that will fit comfortably into a smartphone.

The 21.2MP, 1/2.3", 1.22µm sensor packs 1Gb of DRAM between the pixel layer and circuit layer. Images and footage is stored on the DRAM chip, then exported to the phone's ISP for processing. Basically the connection from the camera to the phone is much slower than from the camera to the chip.

The reason why this matters is that it greatly decreases the time it takes to process and capture a picture - one of the great problems still remaining with smartphone cameras is taking pictures of moving objects - you get a skewing effect as the image is taken from top to bottom.

An example, and one that is often applicable to myself, a moving train;

img03.jpgimg04.jpg

The bottom picture, taken with Sony's new technology, captures and processes the picture quickly enough that the train looks natural - the first picture has the skewing effect.

But even more impressively, the technology allows video capture at up to 1000fps.

I don't know how much internal storage a phone would need to capture clips at this frame rate, but the technology is impressive regardless.

I can't wait until the day my phone has a camera like this.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,817 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

That is pretty impressive. I never saw the point in buying a high-end smartphone, but I don't have a DSLR and don't really like the idea of lugging one around on vacation. That kind of camera in a smartphone would probably make me reconsider. But I guess it will take a while before these things start showing up in phones.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#3 1 year ago
"FileTrekker"An example, and one that is often applicable to myself, a moving train;

You're a moving train?

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,237 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#4 1 year ago
"Serio"
"FileTrekker"An example, and one that is often applicable to myself, a moving train;

You're a moving train?

Didn't you know that Train is one of the current 3,402,045 genders?

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#5 1 year ago

I believe the term is METRO-sexual ;)

Spoiler: Show
or LOCO-sexual if you prefer :p

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.