Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So I have a 120gb drive that I bought months ago but never actually removed from the package.  My question is, would I be better served by using it as my main boot drive (with OS) or as a secondary volume for games?

I ask because I really would rather not have to re-install everything >_

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

outside of configuring the OS to use the SSD properly, transfering already installed windows OS to another hdd is pretty simple using imagex. well, there's some cable switching, reboots and registry editing in recovery mode required, but overall, it's simple and it works perfectly.

i would do it differently though. trim down the space used on the boot drive to less than 20gb (OS + most basic - small - software), transfer the boot drive to the SSD (i can provide details if needed), install the remaining apps/data/movies/whatever on old (boot) hdd and games on the SSD.

the question is, how much space do you need for games. 120gb isn't a big drive by today's standards (240gb would be a minimum worth buying today i think), so unless you're certain you can fit the OS and games on that SSD, i would just use it for games alone to speed them up. everytime something stutters on too high detail setting while moving fast through the game world, there's a chance it's a hdd not being fast enough to stream the data.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#3 2 years ago

^That's what I'm thinking as well.  120gb is plenty as I don't really have a whole lot of new games, but I have enough that 4-5 could fit on the SSD just fine, while the older ones (i.e. before 2010) stay on the 3.5" drive.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago

well, if it's not a problem, i would go with plain OS install due to switch to the SSD. if you're willing to give a 'porting by imagex' method a go, i can post the details. overall you would need to connect the SSD before it all anyway, so the drivers and everything should be fine, but i just haven't tested it with SSD, since i don't own one. if there's a chance that something goes wrong, it's around 1% i think.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I'll probably go the easier route for now, but I wouldn't mind seeing the tutorial in case I decide to change it later on.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

you'll need a recovery pendrive with imagex tool (comes with windows install), bcdboot and regedit.

1. first you connect the new drive to the pc and boot windows, so it can recognize it/install drivers. do all the setup needed for SSD in that step. also, obviously, make sure there's a letter assigned to that drive, and that it's marked as system/bootable (i don't have that last part noted, but it seems kinda obvious as well).

2. boot recovery. assuming everything on your old boot drive is to be captured (so the software you would like to remove, you've uninstalled already), and assuming that C: is the old boot drive and D: is your new drive (check twice under cmd), launch: imagex /capture C: D:\image.wim "somenameforyourimage"

3. imagex /apply D:\image.wim  1 D:

4. regedit, load hive from D:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM and change the letters there, so that old boot drive gets a different letter (unassigned previously or old SSD letter), and SSD gets old boot drive's letter (C) (further explanation: https://sites.google.com/site/pchelpandhowto/boot-up/changing-drive-letters-offline).

5. being in D:\ under cmd, erase /s /ahs Boot and bcdboot D:\windows - i'm not entirely sure but it should do the trick. bcdboot should work this way - if afterwards windows won't boot from the SSD, disconnect the old boot drive and reboot recovery, so that the SSD will be recognized as C and do bcdboot C:\windows - that has to work.

now, never versions of windows use dism instead of imagex, so unless you're using windows 7 (not sure about 8/8.1, but imagex most likely will fail with 10), i would recommend checking the manual for dism and just doing the same thing using dism. overall, yes, it's like 'copy the filesystem to another drive', but doing that in a safe manner with a windows system can be tricky, and imagex/dism are windows-aware and designed for that specific purpose. as a bonus, you can create an image as a backup whenever you wish (you can skip the regedit/erase boot/bcdboot part then - that's needed only when you're moving to another drive, even if it's the exact same model). it even skips temporary files, pagefile and all such crap, and the resulting image is pretty small.

i've used this method to transfer windows 7 to another drive (figured it out myself actually - the trouble being switching the drive letters with regedit under recovery, without it it won't work) and it worked perfectly. sideeffect - yes, you may need to reactivate windows. overall it may seem troublesome, but it's actually damn fast and you're getting exactly the same OS, with all the settings and software untouched.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Trust me, 120 GB isn't big enough for a boot drive. You're going to, at a minimum, want to have your OS + a few essential programs + 1-2 games on there. Windows has a way of bloating fast. If you don't want to constantly keep maintaining and cleaning up after Windows and other sloppy programs' messes, you need at least 240 GB. Maybe 120 GB for a designated gaming drive.

I know because I recently upgraded from a 120 GB boot SSD to a 240 GB. Didn't read Unicorn's posts, don't know if it's relevant to mine, or mine relevant to them.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#8 2 years ago

That much is true.  I've often had to defragment and delete temp internet files in order to scrounge a few gigabytes.  It's a royal pain the arse >_

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

i have no fuckin' idea what you guys are doing then. my boot partition is 40gb (windows 7), and i've got 21gb free.

agreed, i've got 90% of the software on separate cygwin filesystem, and all the games on separate partition as well - but windows doesn't just eat up disk space like crazy for no reason when it's configured properly.

and no, the boot partition isn't that small because it's a small drive - it's a 750gb hdd. i just figured the OS won't need more - and it doesn't.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#10 2 years ago
"unic0rn"i have no fuckin' idea what you guys are doing then. my boot partition is 40gb (windows 7), and i've got 21gb free.

Me neither, and I don't really care to spend the time or have the time required to figure it out, configure Windows "properly", etc. An extra $30-$50 for the wiggle room offered by a bigger SSD is much easier to come up with.