LaughingCheese

Behold the Power of CHEESE!!!

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

This my very first computer! And I still have it sitting under my desk, next to my newest computer.

I got it way back at Christmas 2000, so its nearly 10 years old now!!

Off the top of my head, the specs are:

• AMD Duron [pretty sure its duron and not athlon, I'll check next time I boot it up, if ever lol]
  • 700Mhz WOW! :D
  • forgot how much ram :p
  • 60GB main HDD, added secondary 80GB HDD, for a whopping total of 140GB!!!!:Puzzled:

Don't those specs just knock your socks off?!=p I mean, how couldn't they?! Just AMAZING!!!!!!!:p

Anyways, I want to get into case modding/scratch building, so I thought maybe I could rip out the internals on this thing and use it in my first build.

But, is there anything useful such an old computer can do?

I thought about using it as a CNC controller, but I have yet to get around to building a CNC machine, and probably won't, if ever.

Perhaps something along the lines of a file server, like in this article. But I don't really need a file server though. :p

And then what to build?

I was thinking the Enterprise A from the TMP, its old, this computer is old, but the refit Connie is still way more advanced than this piece of junk.

What to do?:lol:

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Thats actually a nice system for back then. You can turn that PC into an Arcade Machine, just use Maximums *legally* (Sneezes) and it'll emulate the roms, You can get the roms from anywhere basically. Stick it in an arcade cabinet, or just on your desk and you have yourself an arcade machine.

File Server isn't such a bad idea though, give it a shot

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

You could use it as a file server/ hardware firewall. I have an old comp chugging along as a firewall and it does a pretty nice job.

Homer Gonerson

50 XP

22nd December 2003

0 Uploads

6,234 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Do what I did with my brother's 1.1ghz Celeron. Put it into an ammo can:

p1010404pn6.jpg

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

lol, dude thats awesome!

Goody. VIP Member

Former Network Admin and Former Forum Admin

98,484 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,392 Posts

3 Threads

#6 10 years ago

a File server is a good idea. I have a old pc running windows home server that backs up my all the pc's every day, Feeds my dvd / media player in the living room and my internet radio in the kitchen. All my dvds have been ripped to it as well as all my cd's which is brilliant as everything is there at a push of a button and the proper discs are safely packed away.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,997 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,695 Posts

780 Threads

#7 10 years ago

Ironically enough I've been looking for an old Windows 98 PC to play some older games. You could use it for that - VirtualBox, Virtual Machine etc are all well and good, but sometimes not all games work on them. So if you've got any old games that don't work properly, use it for that.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

I've been looking for any old shitty box to throw in my arcade machine, When you want one though, its impossible to find lol, I've even tried eBay :S

Homer Gonerson

50 XP

22nd December 2003

0 Uploads

6,234 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

If you do any online gaming, you could use it as a dedicated server. That's what I'm gonna do with the ammo can for L4D whenever I get a new network card, the one in there is fried :/

LaughingCheese

Behold the Power of CHEESE!!!

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

Sgt. D. Pilla;4758533Thats actually a nice system for back then. You can turn that PC into an Arcade Machine, just use Maximums *legally* (Sneezes) and it'll emulate the roms, You can get the roms from anywhere basically.[/quote]

lol

Stick it in an arcade cabinet, or just on your desk and you have yourself an arcade machine.

Not sure what you mean by arcade machine. An arcade machine from a PC? You mean to play old arcade games I guess?

kow_ciller;4758620You could use it as a file server/ hardware firewall. I have an old comp chugging along as a firewall and it does a pretty nice job.[/quote]

Yes, I'm really liking the file server idea. I've been needing to nuke my new computer and start over, its that time now. I never did it with my old computer, maybe I should. But I have about 30GB on my new machine that I don't want to lose, and I've been looking at ways to back it up, mainly external drives.

But a file server seems just what the doctor ordered.

Homer Gonerson;4758664Do what I did with my brother's 1.1ghz Celeron. Put it into an ammo can:

p1010404pn6.jpg[/quote]

Dang, image won't load.:uhm:

[quote=goody10;4758886]a File server is a good idea. I have a old pc running windows home server that backs up my all the pc's every day, Feeds my dvd / media player in the living room and my internet radio in the kitchen. All my dvds have been ripped to it as well as all my cd's which is brilliant as everything is there at a push of a button and the proper discs are safely packed away.

Coolness.

So its like an HTPC too?

[quote=Mr. Matt;4758904]Ironically enough I've been looking for an old Windows 98 PC to play some older games. You could use it for that - VirtualBox, Virtual Machine etc are all well and good, but sometimes not all games work on them.

That might work, except that I upgraded to XP Pro lol.

So if you've got any old games that don't work properly, use it for that.

Armada 2 works on it, which doesn't on my new machine. And strangely, my old one has DX9.0c, same as my new one. Oh well.

It was too slow though, and I didn't remember that the controls for A2 were so seriously messed up.

[quote=Sgt. D. Pilla;4759006]I've been looking for any old ty box to throw in my arcade machine, When you want one though, its impossible to find lol, I've even tried eBay :S

What is this arcade machine you speak of?:confused:

Hmm..