random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So I had made a thread a while back asking whether I should buy a new machine or not. It was on the on the original FF within the unrecoverable period, so few people remember it, if any.

Anyway, suggestion was that I should wait for newer hardware. I've waited. Should I keep doing so? I'll have a window of Jan-July end, within which to buy a new machine.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Budget and purpose? For gaming you mostly have to decide between 1080p and 4k (or one of these intermediate 21:9 resolutions). Pretty good time for building a 1080p machine using last-gen GPUs (970 or better 980): lots of people will buy a current gen Nvidia card for Christmas and throw out the last gen for cheap on e-bay.

For 4k you could go with a 1070 or 1080 right now or wait a little bit for the next gen of AMD GPUs. The AMD Vega will come with a new type of RAM and may be the first AMD GPU in a long time that can compete with Nvidia, so prices for high-end GPUs may decease a little next year.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#3 1 year ago

What are you upgrading from? There haven't  been any game-changing improvements in CPU technology since the Intel core i-series CPUs; just incremental improvements to power use, buses, etc. I'm still running a 3rd gen i5 and don't see myself upgrading for a few years. GPUs have improved a lot though.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#4 1 year ago

Budget is possibly indefinite, though, above ~2000 USD/Euro may be much harder to justify.

Primary purpose is gaming, though depending on where my future goes, programming and simulation may supplant it.

Laptops only. I travel a lot.

Finally, I usually only buy when my machine absolutely does not work with current software. Last time this was about 2 years ago and I managed to enjoy my machine for roughly 5 years. I haven't been able to play AAA releases for that time period. Anyway, I don't purchase as frequently as top tier enthusiasts.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#5 1 year ago

The Pascal series GPUs works well with laptops, as they are very energy efficient they don't produce as much heat which makes it easier to use desktop-grade gpus in laptops. So much easier that they just take the desktop GPU and underclock it sligthly, which is kind of awesome.

There are laptops with the 1060, 1070 and 1080. The 1080 is overpriced IMO. Probably a good idea to start with the 1070 and then decide display size, resolution, cpu, ram, design etc: http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10939-laptops-nvidia-1070-1080/

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#6 1 year ago

What about the time when I decide to buy?

I probably won't make another purchase again for another half a decade. The recent trend in games recommending 16 GB RAM makes me feel like my machine is going to get outdated fast too since they are probably going to be recommending 32 GB soon, if they haven't already. My current machine had 4 GB on purchase and it took till like 2-2.5 years back for games to start recommending more than that, at least as far as I can recall.

EDIT: Also what about the AMD vega? Where does it all fit into this?

EDIT2: Another discussion I'm having. Thought I should let you know: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/buy-lt-now-or-wait.799903/