GateCrusher420 VIP Member

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So, I'm looking to replace my 7770's.  They've served me well, but it's time to upgrade.  Looking for some advice on a single card/dual card amd or nvidia setup in the 500-ish (give or take) budget range.  Recommendations?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 2 years ago

For 500 bucks you can get a gtx 1070, the current generation upper class card. It will have more than enouhg power for FullHD and will do pretty will in 4k in most games for the time being.

If you are an AMD fan - they currently offer cards that are competitive at a slightly lower budget (in the 300-400 bucks segment) with their R9 cards.  Some new AMD cards will launch in a few days, they will probably be good choiced in the low budget area around 200-300 bucks. AMD's flagship GPUs will be launched later this year or early next year.

I don't think there is any good reason to use a dual GPU solution at this time. Single GPU cards offer more than enough power and are available at all sorts of price ranges. The question is really what kind of resolution you want to play at and how much future-proofing the card should offer.

I think for 500 bucks the GTX 1070 is a very good choice. If 4k resolutions aren't that important to you and you want to save some money look for an used GTX980. Almost as fast as the 1070 with slightly less RAM but a big price drop due to belonging to the previous generation.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#3 2 years ago

The 1070 looks pretty close in league with the 980 Ti. Price-wise it looks like the 980 Ti is cheaper than the 1070 right now IF you buy it used, otherwise it's more expensive. The 1080 is a good deal better performance-wise than either of the aforementioned cards but is starting at $630 on Newegg and it's almost completely out of stock ATM. I don't know what the stock looks like for the 980 Ti. Also, the 980 Ti has a TDP of 250 W whereas the 1070 has a TDP of 150 W, so depending on how much you'll use the card, you'll be paying about a 70% premium on power. I think the 1070 might have better overclocking headroom than the 980 Ti as well, but don't quote me on that.

I don't know much about AMD's offering. I believe their power problems have been solved so it's more a matter of preference, whether the games you play are better optimized for AMD or Nvidia, etc.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,297 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#4 2 years ago

There's plenty of reason to go for the 1070 over the 980 Ti, lower power consumption, more modern architecture and the features that come with it, and better overclocking for a start as already stated.

If you want to future proof your system to some degree this is the best thing to get for that budget.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

GateCrusher420 VIP Member

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#5 2 years ago

"FileTrekker"There's plenty of reason to go for the 1070 over the 980 Ti, lower power consumption, more modern architecture and the features that come with it, and better overclocking for a start as already stated.

If you want to future proof your system to some degree this is the best thing to get for that budget.

I've been watching quite a few reviews of nVidia's new 10xx line of cards just released.  It looks like the 1070 will be my next go to option.  Have any SLI tests been done on these cards yet?