Trump: The Internet belongs to US... 4 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,304 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So, the long-standing plan to remove control of the internet's web addressing system to the international group ICANN is finally taking place, after the US promised to do so way back in the late 90's.

This will be a simple, administrative, paper-work based change, from a US government office to a well established and trusted organisation.

For some reason, Donald Trump, not really understanding how the internet or words work, seems to think this will lead to communist control of the internet...

Trump lends his support to former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz, Trump's bitter rival and the highest profile government figure to lead the charge against the transition. Cruz argues that if the US cedes control to nonprofit ICANN, it could give countries like Russia and China power over the internet. Trump echoed that sentiment.

"Congress needs to act, or internet freedom will be lost for good, since there will be no way to make it great again once it is lost," Trump national policy director Stephen Miller said in the statement.

I'm lost for words at this point. I'm not sure he even knows what an internet is...

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I'm tempted to write something here but since the majority if not close to everything that he says is nuts, insane or simply wrong... I have little to say about it.  Well perhaps one thing, atleast he didn't say that the US goverment should control the entire internet (because it is the land of liberty, greatness and such silly propganda nonse). This is close enough however...

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I believe it has everything to do with the republicans thinking that everything Obama does is only for Obama and the Dems.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,129 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Claiming that the internet belongs to America, and only to America, that just seems like arrogance to me.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

It;s not about ownership but control. And why not? It's their Military that developed the thing in the fist place.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.