MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Does anyone know a good website for TV reviews?

There are way too many models out there, which makes it very difficult to tell which product is suitable (which is probably exactly why TV producers come up with this many models).

Basically I'd like big table that shows TV with information on image quality, panel type, resolution, HDR, quantum dots etc. Most review sites write a little bit about a very small selection of TVs that are currently on the market, which is pretty much useless.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,401 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I've never actually shopped for a good TV, have always just bought whatever was on sale and in the size I wanted.

Some quick searching has come up with this.

Seems to be pretty easy to search/compare.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#3 2 years ago

The most recent TV we bought was from years ago; a Sony Bravia 32" 720p for about $350.  At the moment we might be considering a new one, so this topic came at a great time.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,299 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Honestly, reviews are subjective, especially when it comes to TV's and the audio/videophile that you happen to speaking to next.

I generally advocate the following advice;

1. Find a TV that has the specifications you want, in the price range you're happy with.

2. If you're looking at mid-high range TV's. find out if that TV is a rebadged TV or actually made by the brand it's sold under. For example you might find a rather decent looking Sony TV which is actually a re-badged Blapunkt or something cheaper.

3. Make a note of the use case for your TV. Are you plugging a PC into it, need it to play games? What resolutions do you want it to support? Find out if the TV supports the resolutions and refresh rates you want by getting the full model and finding out from places like AVSforums or on YouTube, or Google.

If you do all these things you're probably going to be more than happy with your purchase. As I say it's more about what you want the TV to do, not what another person wants it do, IMHO.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#5 2 years ago

"RadioActiveLobster"I've never actually shopped for a good TV, have always just bought whatever was on sale and in the size I wanted.

Some quick searching has come up with this.

Seems to be pretty easy to search/compare.[/quote] Thanks, that site looks pretty good already. [quote="FileTrekker"]

1. Find a TV that has the specifications you want, in the price range you're happy with.

Unfortunately the sort of features I like (good picture quality, so HDR plus either OLED or quantum dot) are a bit out of the price range that I am comfortable with. Well, my old 32'' TV still works, so I can probably wait till Christmas when prices usually drop a little.

2. If you're looking at mid-high range TV's. find out if that TV is a rebadged TV or actually made by the brand it's sold under. For example you might find a rather decent looking Sony TV which is actually a re-badged Blapunkt or something cheaper.

That is good advice, wasn't aware that they do that with TVs.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,401 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I don't know about over there but here in the states we have brands like Insignia or Vizio, which are lower tier brands but can be a great deal.

Starting to see 4K tvs in the $500 range from those brands.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

M!tch VIP Member

intermittently erratic

130,170 XP

12th March 2004

0 Uploads

11,767 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I actually went to a shop and bought mine. 40" Sony and I liked the picture better than anything else in there. That's all I needed to know. It's a "smart" tv, but I hardly use those functions. A lot of tv sucks anyway. The less watched, the better these days.

Thinking about it.