Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I don't think anyone saw this coming. Vine, the popular, million user app that allows its users to record six second videos, is shutting down after three years. They're keeping the website open and available indefinitely, so people can view past Vines, but once the app is shut down there'll be no way to create or upload new ones.

This is a bit of a shocking development. 

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Volume isn't the same as value.

I foresee Twitter becoming one of those internet has-beens if it doesn't get its act together in a hurry. Like, I see the potential - as I think I might have mentioned before - I've tried using it... but it's utterly unusable to me. I need filters and they're just not there. Don't want to wade through that tidal wave of shit to find the few nuggets that get accidentally flushed.

I'd pay a small subscription fee to be able to sort all that information meaningfully, but as is?... it's just... bleh. You can find a few funny accounts and drop in on them from time to time but that's about it.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,910 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,880 Posts

218 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I wont miss it.

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,299 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#4 2 years ago

I never really used Vine, to be honest.

It's a sign of Twitter's continued woes, though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Emperor Benedictine

You can't fire me, I quit

55 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

2,437 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I just read that Twitter bought Vine from its original founders for $30 million, before it had even launched. Only for them to shut it down after just three years.

Makes me kind of sad. Not that we no longer have Vine, I mean, but that I never had $30 million.

GateCrusher420 VIP Member

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I never used Vine but I did enjoy the content some creators produced on it.  I know a lot of people will miss it, I personally will not.