MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,814 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Supposedly 30% faster than a 1080, from what I just read on a German website. That would be nice, for a very long time I bought AMD cards, last year I finally made the switch to Nvidia because in the upper segment they were simply superior.

By now I really like Nvidia, too. Mostly because they are not only fast but also quiet due to high efficiency. I hope Vega will compete in that regard as well. Does anyone know what kind of proudction process they will be using? I think Nvidia is at 16nm currently.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,219 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,112 Posts

1,329 Threads

#2 1 year ago

That 30% is coming from a leaked compute benchmark and really tells us nothing at the moment.

AMD's compute performance has never been directly comparable to their gaming performance though that may change as DX12 and Vulkan become more of a thing and compute becomes more of a factor.

I do hope VEGA comes out swinging at all levels. AMD needs a high end product to compete with Nvidia. They can't just keep swinging away at the low to mid range, especially since Nvidia is finally putting some good product out in that range as well (1050 Ti and 1060).

My guess is that it'll be on 14 nm like Polaris though the chip is going to be bigger as it'll have HBM2 stacks on it.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,072 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,450 Posts

1,695 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Honestly, I suspect the performance will be the usual, i.e. some games will work better on Vega, others on the GTX 1080, some virtually identical. Some games will run better due to NVidia specific optimization, some games will work better on this, and so on.

I don't see the pattern changing?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com