Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Anyone got a water cooling setup they'd recommend? I know it's typical to have water cooling fittings/heat dissipators on the major components - CPU, GPU, memory(?), chipsets, etc. but what about for the PSU? My goal is to move towards having one, maybe two fans in the entire system. But I haven't really done any studying on the topic so it'll probably be a few weeks before this project actually happens. 

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Water-cooling is really overrated.  Sorry, but it's true.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,404 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Water cooling does not reduce the amount of fans you need. Like at all.

In fact it normally increases the amount of fans you have in a system.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,131 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#4 1 year ago

You forgot the most important part. Water + electrical stuff = bad things.

Seriously. Don't allow water to come anywhere near your computer, unless you WANT your computer to explode.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago

"RadioActiveLobster"Water cooling does not reduce the amount of fans you need. Like at all.

In fact it normally increases the amount of fans you have in a system.[/quote]

Really? That seems counter-intuitive.

The end goal here is to make things quieter. The "obvious" solution was to go water cooling because it consolidates the heat removal mechanism into one centralized radiator, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Other methods include going as large as possible with fan sizes due to the nonlinear relationship between airflow, fan  cross-section,  and noise output of a fan (which I've already done - 120 mm fans everywhere), reducing fan coil wine and vibration noise by getting higher quality fans, and optimizing fan speeds and airflow paths. And acoustically insulating the case.

So with that goal in mind, Any additional recommendations, or recommendations in general towards meeting the goal?

[quote="Lindale"]You forgot the most important part. Water + electrical stuff = bad things.

Seriously. Don't allow water to come anywhere near your computer, unless you WANT your computer to explode.

Spoiler: Show
3a5.jpg

MoreGun89

55 XP

27th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,426 Posts

0 Threads

#6 1 year ago

I don't have a suggestion for a system,  but I do agree, water cooling (while awesome in concept and will reduce noise overall) is overrated.  The amount of heat that the water will pull is not enough for how warm a machine will get when running at high capacity.  The possibility of overheating and shutdown is high, and you run the risk of a leak in the system shorting the guts beyond repair.

If this is the way way you want to go, and to answer your question, yes you will want to run the system near the PSU heat output.

Good luck!

Mother Banhammer

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,404 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#7 1 year ago
"Superfluous Curmudgeon "

"RadioActiveLobster"Water cooling does not reduce the amount of fans you need. Like at all.

In fact it normally increases the amount of fans you have in a system.

Really? That seems counter-intuitive.

The end goal here is to make things quieter. The "obvious" solution was to go water cooling because it consolidates the heat removal mechanism into one centralized radiator, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Other methods include going as large as possible with fan sizes due to the nonlinear relationship between airflow, fan  cross-section,  and noise output of a fan (which I've already done - 120 mm fans everywhere), reducing fan coil wine and vibration noise by getting higher quality fans, and optimizing fan speeds and airflow paths. And acoustically insulating the case.

So with that goal in mind, Any additional recommendations, or recommendations in general towards meeting the goal?

You can certainly go quieter with water cooling because one of the main benefits is that you have a larger surface area (the fins on the radiators) to dissipate the heat. That larger area means you can have more fans (some times) spinning at a lower RPM (so quieter) than you would with the same number of fans with just air cooling.

An example would be a single fan CPU tower is going to cool less efficiently and at a higher noise level than a dual fan rad at a lower fan RPM. The larger the radiator the more fans but usually the lower the RPM you need to cool them efficiently since there is more surface area for the heat to dissipate on.

You also have to decide, are you going closed loop or open loop? The only things you need to cool are the GPU and the CPU. Don't worry about RAM, motherboard, etc... All of that is not needed. People who water cool their RAM or mobo are doing it for looks, not any meaningful cooling reasons.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...