Why does increasing graphics settings sometimes improve FPS? 7 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,404 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#1 1 year ago

I've noticed, most recently in train simulator, I was having some FPS issues, so I wacked the settings up to max while doing some benchmarking and found that the FPS actually improved....

Had a similar thing with Doom.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is happening?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,240 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Has to do with how resources are being used.

There are very technical explanations but I don't fully understand it so here is my shitty (and possibly wrong) explanation. Basically at the lower settings your GPU isn't being fully utilized fully (sorta a CPU bottleneck) so increasing some settings puts more load on the GPU and lets it run faster. Since these particular settings don't appear to hit the CPU very hard it it's load remains the same and the GPU able to make up some performance.

Basically at lower settings the GPU is waiting on the CPU and bumping up the settings lets it do more while it's waiting on the CPU.

Or all that is wrong. There is probably an article/video that better explains this.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,794 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#3 1 year ago

That is counter-intuitive at best. The lower your settings, the less your computer needs to render, which means it can render more stuff in the same amount of time.

Since I have gotten my computer back up and running, it has not been anywhere near as fast as it once was. To play the same games I was before, I need to run them at lower settings than I had before. If I put the graphics settings in Skyrim to where they were before my computer died, I can barely move at all. Even with the lower settings, I still cannot hit 30fps to save my life.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,737 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#4 1 year ago

Maybe lowering the settings throws something into a mode that your hardware doesn't support as efficiently? Sort of like going software mode takes the load off the GPU and puts it onto the much less efficient CPU. If you really want to track down the issue you can lower one setting at a time until you find the one(s) that cause(s) the framerate issues.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,794 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#5 1 year ago

Which in my case is reflections and shadows. I had to completely disable those.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#6 1 year ago

And anti-aliasing.  Anything above 2x (or sometimes even zero) will gut your FPS like a madman.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,737 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#7 1 year ago

Lindale, did you ensure all your drivers, especially your graphics drivers are up to date? If all of your hardware is  working correctly, it should not have slowed down - that just doesn't happen to hardware. Does everything show as installed correctly in your device manager? Might also be worth opening your event viewer to see if there are a bunch of warnings/errors in any of the logs. A bunch of errors can sometimes indicate faulty drivers or failing hardware.

My thought experiment was referring more to the performance dive that FileTrekker was getting by lowering  his settings, as that is the more unusual case.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,794 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#8 1 year ago

1: I just downloaded whatever driver was on the AMD website. I have no idea how to tell if it is correct. In any case, it was Crimson, and the AMD Catalyst Control Center.

2: Even though this is a fresh Windows install, I have been getting the "AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered."

3: Also, what is Event Viewer?

"Adrian Ţepeş"And anti-aliasing.  Anything above 2x (or sometimes even zero) will gut your FPS like a madman.

To be honest, I don't see any difference with anti-aliasing on or off. They both look exactly the same.