Will downloadable content replace retail??? 20 replies

Please wait...

(Sgt)..McLoven

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

4th August 2007

0 Uploads

58 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

The belief that retail stores will ultimately lose out to digital distribution is the "in" thing to say for many game developers spoken over the past year. The new distribution format certainly has a long way to go - last years retail sales reached $13.5 billion.

So will it ever happen? Probabley never. The roadblocks are rather self-evident at this juncture. If you want to download a full game onto your pc or console, a fast connection is necessary. According to a servy done by Pew internet & American Life Project this past February, only 47% of American adults have high-speed internet connection at home. It dosent take a rocket scientist to conclude that ignoring the other 53% of potential gameing market would be a major gaffe. Even if you have a high speed connection temporary gamestake up large files and take days to download.

Resistance:Fall of Man takes up over 17GB of space on a Blu-ray disc.That is one epic download to undertake with your paltry DSL or cable modem. Strike 1. The second, and perhaps most important, aspect of the equation is "were are you going to put the game?" Hard drive sizes on next-gen consoles, while adequate for game saves,expansions,and arcade games, are hardly large enough to house the game libraries of hardcore gamers. Strike 2. The 3rd aspect to consider is a general question of utility."Downloadable content has no resale value," The option to resell a game is worth something. If you cant take it to your friends house orcant sell it, you wont want to pay full price for it. so whats the point? Strike 3.

Thats not to say digital distribution dosent have a future. As console generations move forwardthe broadband adoption rate is should continue to expand, download speeds will increase, thereby correcting many of the ills facing contemporay digital distribution. At some point, downloadable content should reach 20% of retailpackeged retail sales.




Acualy Is Confusingkid

Keep honking im reloading

48,430 XP

19th September 2006

0 Uploads

4,563 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago
(Sgt)..McLoven;3839759The belief that retail stores will ultimately lose out to digital distribution is the "in" thing to say for many game developers spoken over the past year. The new distribution format certainly has a long way to go - last years retail sales reached $13.5 billion. So will it ever happen? Probabley never. The roadblocks are rather self-evident at this juncture. If you want to download a full game onto your pc or console, a fast connection is necessary. According to a servy done by Pew internet & American Life Project this past February, only 47% of American adults have high-speed internet connection at home. It dosent take a rocket scientist to conclude that ignoring the other 53% of potential gameing market would be a major gaffe. Even if you have a high speed connection temporary gamestake up large files and take days to download.Resistance:Fall of Man takes up over 17GB of space on a Blu-ray disc.That is one epic download to undertake with your paltry DSL or cable modem. Strike 1. The second, and perhaps most important, aspect of the equation is "were are you going to put the game?" Hard drive sizes on next-gen consoles, while adequate for game saves,expansions,and arcade games, are hardly large enough to house the game libraries of hardcore gamers. Strike 2.The 3rd aspect to consider is a general question of utility."Downloadable content has no resale value," The option to resell a game is worth something. If you cant take it to your friends house orcant sell it, you wont want to pay full price for it. so whats the point? Strike 3. Thats not to say digital distribution dosent have a future. As console generations move forwardthe broadband adoption rate is should continue to expand, download speeds will increase, thereby correcting many of the ills facing contemporay digital distribution. At some point, downloadable content should reach 20% of retailpackeged retail sales.

nice copy and paste :o lol but NO. it will never replace retail. at leats in retail, you have a hard copy of the thing you downloaded. but if you download, viruses,stupididty,and young relatives can wipe away that $30 dollar download in a matter of seconds :D




NeverEndingBattle

The Betrayer.

50 XP

14th August 2006

0 Uploads

861 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I doubt it, I would even rather buy a CD in the store rather then download it for FREE. Just to have the cd, case, and it's just something about having the actual copy of it.




Acualy Is Confusingkid

Keep honking im reloading

48,430 XP

19th September 2006

0 Uploads

4,563 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago
NeverEndingBattle;3839793I doubt it, I would even rather buy a CD in the store rather then download it for FREE. Just to have the cd, case, and it's just something about having the actual copy of it.

lol thats funny because you have a limewire userbar :D




NeverEndingBattle

The Betrayer.

50 XP

14th August 2006

0 Uploads

861 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Yea, my cd book of about 500 cd's was stolen a year ago. So now i'm a very frequent user of it.




Acualy Is Confusingkid

Keep honking im reloading

48,430 XP

19th September 2006

0 Uploads

4,563 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago
NeverEndingBattle;3839823Yea, my cd book of about 500 cd's was stolen a year ago. So now i'm a very frequent user of it.

lol okay that makes sense. i would have done the same thing :)




Jeff Über Admin

I am a mean boss ⬆️⬆️⬇️⬇️⬅️➡️⬅️➡️??

184,643 XP

6th April 2000

0 Uploads

14,592 Posts

1,534 Threads

#7 12 years ago

Currently the trend is for digital downloads. With this trend comes record number sales and users taking advantage of this feature on many websites. This ultimately throws off numbers in terms of how it affects retails stores. Why? Because digital downloading is new and people like to try new things. Once the fad of idea wears off and it becomes more mainstream, you'll probably see the numbers level out a bit. I have no doubt that many companies will take advantage of this and offer their programs either through a digital download or retail copy. But I bet they'll release 'collectors edition' type options to those that opt for a retail copy. Let's not forget the retail companies that offer digital downloads from their website now, taking advantage of this new method. Look at ebgames.com for an example. They offer quite a bit online. Also, sometimes it's much better to get a copy of the game for the manual and just having a nice backup copy you don't need redownload to install again. Games like Civilization IV (if you've never played it before) having a manual helps dramatically in telling you how to play the game and what options are available just not that easily accessable. A pdf of this manual downloading online would easily be about 150megs. Which I don't think is at all practical.


Product Manager | GameFront.com




Acualy Is Confusingkid

Keep honking im reloading

48,430 XP

19th September 2006

0 Uploads

4,563 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

yeah. STEAM is another company using the digital download method. i would MUCH rather buy retail than downloading. 1.backup copy 2.let friends borrow(not online of course) 3.manuals 4.not taking so much HDD space.




Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

I hope it never replaces retail, and I doubt it will in my gaming lifetime.

I recall some patching issues for the different versions of some games. Oftentimes, the D2D patch lags far behind the Retail version. Why it needs a different patch is another question...

I'll stick with retail. Fewer potential issues as far as I'm concerned.




Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

Although I've never been a fan of Steam, I understand the concept. If you lose your disc, it breaks or whatever you can just download it again. That is useful, and in reality it doesn't actually need much space. Whether you had Steam or not, HL2 etc would still need a lot of space...the fact that they use Steam doesn't make much difference overall.

I also love having things like CDs and DVDs. Even DRM-free music has never convinced me. I often find that high-street stores (even the big ones here, HMV and Virgin) can be cheaper than the online services. In particular if you're like me and never buy newly-released CDs you can often average £5 or £6 per CD (and I'm not talking old albums, things that are only a year or so old).