x-Mandalore-x

Release the warrior spirit

50 XP

19th June 2005

0 Uploads

555 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

[COLOR=red]Yup,[/COLOR] very simple.... which is the best and most stable you think ?? Microsoft Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows 2003 Microsoft Windows 2008 i have a choice of one of these on a system i plan to setup, geniune + all updates which you guys suggest? x-M-x

Goody. VIP Member

Former Network Admin and Former Forum Admin

98,481 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,392 Posts

3 Threads

#2 10 years ago

It depends on what you want to use it for. I have the 120 evaluation edition of windows home server (the new one) that will back up any pc connected to it and give you access via a url. I use it to host files for my dvd and internet radio but it can be accessed from anywere. My son can access it via his iphone and listen to music / videos on the bus ;)

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Take it from a Geek (Pty Ltd); Server 2008 is THE BEST by far. Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 have way to many limitations for todays email and server uses, limitations that can't be changed or bypassed, these have all been removed in Exchange 2008 and Server 2008.

Server 2008's Terminal Services are also much improved, no longer do remote users have to RDP into a server to use Myob, they can literally, quite simply run a shortcut on their desktop which loads the program via the network (remote sites obviously via PTPVPN) from the server. All data files, and program files are installed on the server, the program itself opens in a cut down RDP session window, which appears just like a normal everyday program window, only with the noticable network lag. If you implement a decent network structure with Gigabit and FiberChannel switches then this lag is reduced to almost nothing.

Server 2008, Windows 7, Hyper V, all are designed to be "The Shit", Server 2008 is not built off of Vista, its a completely new redesigned Kernel with unparalled stability and speed. There are also talks that Service Pack 2 for 2008 will include the new table based file system which allows for almost instant searches and data access across the drives.

I haven't read one bad thing about Server 2008, other then small businesses bitching that SBS2008 is the only version that will be coming in 32bit.

There is one word of warning I will give you, this goes for all Vista and Windows 7 installs as well, Allow system partitions of 90GB+, this is due to the Winsxs directory, and 64bit only helps to further increase the problem Basically the directory can't be emptied, and it just keeps growing in size with every update, patch and system component installed. 4 Copies of the patch are effectively saved in this directory, and thats in 32bit versions, 64bit versions almost double this (So a 200MB update turns into 800MB for 32bit, or 1.6GB for 64bit)

Unlike Server 2003 or lower, where a 60GB was more then enough (Depending on the business size, but typically speaking suitable for any business with 100 users or so), unfortunatly now 90GB is the minimum I would suggest. My findings about this issue came from personal experiance with my Vista machine, my 60GB System Partition is full, and this WinSXS directory is 37GB of that. It applies for Server 2008 and Windows 7 as they all use "Componentization" rather then what once was an INF described OS.

FYI: The Secret Of Vista's Winsxs Folder.

I have the 120 evaluation edition of windows home server (the new one) that will back up any pc connected to it and give you access via a url.

Eh, not so impressive, its just a fancy version of RDP, which most likely uses some form of DDNS for url direction.

Other then that, Geek Pty Ltd no longer recommend or sell Server 2003 unless the customer so demands it, We will continue to sell and recommend Server 2008

x-Mandalore-x

Release the warrior spirit

50 XP

19th June 2005

0 Uploads

555 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

[color=red]i've managed to get a geniune copy of windows server 2003 R2 but can anyone tell me what does the "R2" Mean ???? the reason for this is the machine is low spec, Pentium 3 1ghz dual with 2GB of ram,[/color]

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago
x-Mandalore-x;4802467[COLOR=red]i've managed to get a geniune copy of windows server 2003 R2 but can anyone tell me what does the "R2" Mean ???? the reason for this is the machine is low spec, Pentium 3 1ghz dual with 2GB of ram,[/COLOR]

I would guess that R2 means "Release 2" or something similar.

I would say 2003 should probably run decently on that system.

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago
x-Mandalore-x;4802467[COLOR=red]but can anyone tell me what does the "R2" Mean ????[/COLOR]

R2 is an updated version of Server 2003 (some unofficially call it Server 2005). It should be contained on two disks. The first disk would be Server 2003 SP1 and the second adds many optionally installable features.