MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

Hello, I am buying myself a new graphics card to go with the PC i am building. I am going to be getting a NForce4 mobo with a PCI-E slot and as far as I can see by looking at the picture there is no AGP slot. Now the PCI-E is £12 cheaper than the AGP version. So do I changed mobo's and get one with an AGP slot or do I get the X800 PCI-E? As far as I can tell by looking at benchmarks the PCI-E version still kicks ass :cool:. But I have heard talk of an X800XL but I cannot find any UK comp part dealers inc the big names like Dabs, MicroDirect, Novatech and Overclockers even having it listed. My freinds all say to go to PCI-E mainly beause most of them have one, so I was looking for an un-biased opinion :) I won't be building it till March so if the X800XL is due to be out by then and is better than the Pro and costs about the same I will go for that instead. Some advice would be greatful. Thanks.

Grimme

I like you

50 XP

3rd July 2004

0 Uploads

3,715 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

PCI-E is a better solution, because when you come round to upgrading the PC, the ghfx card in particularm then the next generation of graphics will be availible to you, AGP is on it's way out, go PCI-E defo.

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

The AGP cards are a little better than their PCI-Express counterparts. From what I've heard recently from users.

However PCI-Express cards will be the standard for several years to come. It will be easier to upgrade the card, although the performance increase may, or may not be good enough over the current PCI-E standard cards.

It is very likely that they will release newer PCI-E boards, that work better.

Master of Reality

I'm lying when I say trust me

50 XP

8th June 2004

0 Uploads

10,166 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

PCI-E is the future. It isn't quite as standard right now, but soon AGP cards will go the way of the old PCI cards. Getting a PCI-E mobo will gear you up for a good few years. Plus it's faster than AGP. PCI-E = 16x, AGP = 8x

[CoUk]niu

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

12th March 2004

0 Uploads

2,110 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

Personally i`m still with agp,since mobo and proc. will probably be too slow to feed a next gen graphicscard anyway.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

PCIe is no better than AGP currently. However, PCIe x16 has full duplex bandwidth potential akin to a heretofore unused AGP 16X standard. If you're going nForce4 then you're getting a PCIe card, because they don't come with AGP slots.

M!tch VIP Member

intermittently erratic

130,170 XP

12th March 2004

0 Uploads

11,767 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

Well this review of PCI-Express tells me exactly why people should stick to agp for now, even running at 4x there is not a great improvement. its my opinion that PCI-Express is not really necessary and is just being sold as "its new therefore its better" when it obviously isnt

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041122/index.html

Thinking about it.