tetraburmium

Join the Rebellion!

50 XP

15th January 2004

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

Is there any point in overclocking an X850XT, or is there any room for overclocking. And could anyone recommend a water cooling solution for this card if overclocking has a point with it?? At the moment I am looking at the Asetek Waterchill KT12-L30 or something (the LGA775 with chipset cooler and elbow mount GPU coooler, but I not sure it is compatible.) Thanks, tetraburmium.

[+Glasius+] VIP Member

THE snowman

50 XP

23rd January 2000

0 Uploads

1,670 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

There is not point in overclocking an X850XT other than bragging rights. My humble opinion.

Operative34997

error 414- user not found

50 XP

3rd June 2004

0 Uploads

794 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

Glasius is right. I have an X850 XT and the only place OCing has any real noticeable difference is benchmarking. My XT can easily handle Platinum Edition settings and on 3dMark05 it made the difference between a score of 5900 and 6200. But in a gaming environment it's hardly noticeable. I run my card at stock settings. Just look for yourself at comparissons between the two cards. The PE gets maybe a couple frames more than the standard XT. Framerates fluctuate during 3D gaming more than a couple under regular conditions. BTW I have the stock cooling and had no temp probs during OCing. If you need to water cool a video card it's because you have done voltage mods, water isn't necessary for small amounts of OCing.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 13 years ago

Theres a point, but you run the risk of the card melting into a puddle unless you have really good cooling.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago
tetraburmiumIs there any point in overclocking an X850XT, or is there any room for overclocking. And could anyone recommend a water cooling solution for this card if overclocking has a point with it?? At the moment I am looking at the Asetek Waterchill KT12-L30 or something (the LGA775 with chipset cooler and elbow mount GPU coooler, but I not sure it is compatible.) Thanks, tetraburmium.

The only reason i would see for overclocking a X850XT is for better benchmark scores or just for the point of saying you have one overclocked. if you take it up to PE speeds, your not going to need water cooling on it. Like operative said, your not gonna see it in the games very much, but the benchmarks will show.

tetraburmium

Join the Rebellion!

50 XP

15th January 2004

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

KK, thanks. I think I'll stay away from water cooling then for the moment, and I'll get a really good heatsink/fan combo for the proc. (FX55) and chipset. Any recommendations??

Eagle One

:-D

50 XP

22nd December 2003

0 Uploads

2,992 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

i just cant for the life of me see why you would want to overclock an X850XT

tetraburmium

Join the Rebellion!

50 XP

15th January 2004

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

As everyone has said, there is no reason except for benchmarks. I don't particularly mind though, extra power is extra power. Anyway, slightly off topic but, when using the FX55 processor is it nescessary to use the registered ram modules containing "Register Chip(s)" that I've seen around, most notably on the Kingston HyperX memory site. Thanks, tetra.

Eagle One

:-D

50 XP

22nd December 2003

0 Uploads

2,992 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago

i believe it is down to what motherboard you have, depending on whether you need registered ram or not, i dont know what motherboards need it/what dont

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#10 13 years ago

Nope, the old FX-51 required registered ram... once AMD switched over to the FX-53 and then FX-55 it went to unregistered. I'm not sure why, but its a lot easier to use this way. All the new AMD cards, the 90nm 3000+ through the 4000+ are all unregistered mem as well. I suggest you look for an old FX-53 and OC it to FX-55 speeds, or get a 90nm 4000+ rather than spend $900 on a FX-55 thatll be replaced in a few months if not weeks.