ctpenguin

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

13th November 2007

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

I'm looking to connect my Xbox 360 to my computer monitor via an HDMI to DVI-D cable. The problem is that I don't want to disconnect my computer every time I feel like playing the 360 and vice versa. Would a KVM switch work out alright? I thought KVM switches worked by keyboard shortcuts to switch systems. I was thinking about this one: Newegg.com - IOGEAR GCS62 2-Port PS/2 KVM switch with built-in cables - KVM Switches

Edit:

Probably a bad idea, but my monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs; could I just connect my PC via VGA and the 360 via DVI?

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Your monitor should have an option to choose between which input to take signal from. I'd try just using the separate inputs first.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

If it has two inputs then, as Zamamee said use your PC with one cable, then your 360 with the other. Being able to do stuff like that is part of the point of having two connections. There should be a button (or part of the menu) which allows you to choose which input it's using.

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago
ctpenguin;4352695...my monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs; could I just connect my PC via VGA and the 360 via DVI?

Absolutely you could. It should work just fine like that. As mentioned, there should be a button or menu option to cycle between the display inputs.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 10 years ago

I have Xbox and 3 other HD video players all using HDMI that I route to a HDTV montior. I also have my laptop with DVI connected. I use a HDMI switch.

conorlord

(< my guitar) Gold Thread FTW

50 XP

21st September 2007

0 Uploads

1,361 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

i just unplug the xbox from the monitor and put in my computer it takes about 10 seconds so its not hard to do

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

It's not hard, but if you've got a dual input monitor like the OP then it's harder than usual the PC on one input and the 360 on another. Can be a pain depending on how your stuff is arranged, i.e. if there's no easy access to the mmonitor like in my situation. That said, before I got my current monitor I had an LCD that only accepted 1 VGA input, so I found and bought a VGA switch for about £3 on amazon.

The_Computer_Wizard

The Force is strong with him

50 XP

10th September 2006

0 Uploads

321 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

you could always use a kvm switch... you would plug one piece into the monitor, then two pieces would come out of that, one would go to your comp, one to your xbox then one last connection to your keyboard, and with the press of a keystroke you designate it will switch (not to mention im pretty sure it will default to the device that is on, so if your computer is off and you want to play the xbox you can)