Caprica-Six

Toaster

50 XP

24th August 2010

0 Uploads

339 Posts

0 Threads

#1 8 years ago

So my one of my xbox 360's has the three rings of death and after researching on the ole interweb it appears that fix is "not very complicated" but i am unsure as to which one to use... i know that i have to replace the x clamps and clean the heat syncs but am guessing that this alone could solve the problem.. but i saw a video with some sticking pennies wrapped in tape to other chips on the motherboard with heat gel called artic heat? what does this achieve?

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#2 8 years ago
but i saw a video with some sticking pennies wrapped in tape to other chips on the motherboard with heat gel called artic heat? what does this achieve?

The penny should act like a tiny heatsink i would think.

Never heard of doing that to a 360, but then again, i've never researched anything about it. I would just send it back if its still under warranty if it was me. From what i have heard sometimes those tricks work, and other times they don't.

Caprica-Six

Toaster

50 XP

24th August 2010

0 Uploads

339 Posts

0 Threads

#3 8 years ago

yeah true, the key thing with these microsoft machines is they tend to break after warranty is expired, and seeing as its definitely an over heating issue as my other one is going the same way the graphics rendering becomes jerky after a few hours game play however in a moment of brilliance i lay a full size room fan behind it blowing into the ports at the back where all the heat seems to come from and low and behold no crashing....

There are some stupid solves on the net too one of them says to wrap xbox in a towel and leave it on until it overheats and resets then it will set the hot temperature as its default and not lock you out.....smart not this is a sure fire way to cook your xbox no?

I took it apart last night voided the warranty (which is expired anyway) cleaned it with solvent and put it back together and it runs so much better!