Furious321

ØMĢ... Ņúβž...

50 XP

9th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,143 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I bought this graphics card on Friday, just received it today. [COLOR=darkslateblue]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=P450-7818[/COLOR] So I remove my old card (5200) and insert this one; it wasn't easy, but I eventually got it done; and as far as I know, it doesn't appear damaged after me "forcing" it into place. The instructions read that I should connect supplementary power cables to the card itself, I can't find these cables that are supposed to be connected to the power supply... but that's a different story, and it doesn't say in the manual that such a connection is required. Now I have the card inserted the same way as my old card, nothing new. I close the case and re-plug everything back in. As soon as I start up my PC, I hear this very loud and high-pitched ringing noise (and it's constant). Assuming it's coming from the new card, I open the case while the PC is still running and making the noise. I look around inside and can tell the sound is coming from the video card. Only because the noise is begining to hurt my ears, do I turn off the PC and unplug everything. After I do this, I remove the video card and examine it. I noticed what looks like [And I'm almost sure is] a speaker. I start to wonder why a small speaker would be on a graphics card... don't understand. But I am certain that this card is creating the noise, which again is constant and high-pitched. Also, while I'm having this noise problem, I notice that my monitor is displaying nothing; almost as if I didn't have it connect to the PC at all. (It just stayed in power-save mode). Ok... basically... I have a new XFX 7800 GS that doesn't allow any display, and emits a loud audio effect from a speaker located on the card. My questions: What is the speaker for? Why is this sound being expelled from the card? Why is there no display present? Could my action of not connecting any supplementary power cables be involved in this incident? :uhm:

xephus

I post to get attention

50 XP

11th February 2003

0 Uploads

66 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago
Furious321What is the speaker for?[/QUOTE] To make a noise

Furious321Why is this sound being expelled from the card?[/QUOTE] As a warning

[QUOTE=Furious321]Why is there no display present?

Signal problems

[QUOTE=Furious321]Could my action of not connecting any supplementary power cables be involved in this incident?

YES :)

w3Collapse

Washup shun?

50 XP

21st March 2006

0 Uploads

61 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I believe the 7800 uses the same connector as for the 4-pin floppy power connector. Not sure though. As for the speaker, it's there to warn you when something is wrong. Are you sure you got the right kind of card, e.g. PCI-E. A card that uses a external power supply MUST have it. How many watts is your PSU?

Furious321

ØMĢ... Ņúβž...

50 XP

9th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,143 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Alright... I spoke with a few of my friends, the friends I wasn't able to contact before I posted this; and they said that the power supply cords/dongles were required, like you two just posted. :nodding: I'll work on that tomorrow...

rob.

I am the Walrus

50 XP

24th October 2004

0 Uploads

5,580 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Oh jeeez. Hope the card isn't dead.

Mr.Nitro

Quality not Quantity

50 XP

30th November 2004

0 Uploads

281 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

Have a look in the box the card came in......... do you see an adaptor power lead? ie: pci-e to 4 pin molex, put one end in the card the other in your spare power supply cable,plug or socket.Older psu's don't have a pci-e power lead on them,hence the converter.

Furious321

ØMĢ... Ņúβž...

50 XP

9th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,143 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

Yea, that's what it needed... ze power. I didn't use the given power dongles. I just connected some "spare" ones that were already in my PC, to the card itself... works great now. BF2--ALL MAX video settings, that includes AA; and runs perfectly smooth. Don't mean to rub it in, but... if you're in search of a high-end graphics card, a GeForce user, and you have an AGP motherboard, this is the one to get. :nodding:

N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

so was the card making the noise because it was searching for more power and you didn't properly hook up the right cables.......was that the problem?

xephus

I post to get attention

50 XP

11th February 2003

0 Uploads

66 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

The card was getting power from the slot, but needed more power to function correctly - Hence the warning sound, no screen etc.

Once he had connected (enough) power to the card, it worked.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#10 12 years ago

Lucky lad arnt you, dont be so rushed next time, maybe even read the cards manual ! Glad for you its not fried though, you will enjoy gaming on it...