nick00

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

12 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

Hey, hopefully somebody may be able to help :) I used to own a 6800gt AGP. I managed to run most games smoothly and the particular game i play (soldier of fortune 2) i managed to get 333fps stable in most situations, only dropping to about 300 at the lowest. me being me i wanted the 333 always and went for this new card and motherboard. ive written an email to xfx which explains the problem a little better. the email:

Hello, First let me explain my previous situation before i purchased my xfx card. I had a AGP 6800gt with an 8x AGP motherboard. I play an online game called soldier of fortune 2. This runs on the quake 3 engine. I was able to get around 320-333 fps when i capped the ingame fps to 333. However as i was wanting constant 333 i thought i would upgrade to pci express technology. A friend of mine had an xfx 6800gt and could get 333fps stable all the time. So i thought to myself i would go for the 7800gt as that was the best at the time. I purchased a giga-byte k8n-sli motherboard and an xfx 7800gt from overclockers.co.uk After installing them my setup is as follows: AMD 64 x2 4400+ 1024MB RAM XFX 256MB 7800gt PCI-express in theory this should match what my old graphics card could achieve if not better it. However it doesnt come close unfortunatly. Which is causing me a certain amount of distress and frustration. At maximum i manage to get 120-125 fps which is completely unbelievable for the amount of money i paid for the card and what it should be able to do. i cant understand why a xfx 6800gt can get up to 500fps at times on the game i play but a xfx 7800gt cant even get 150. having been very much used to playing the game with such high fps (320-333) i got used to the smooth feel of the game. now that i play at 120-125 the game is a lot less smooth and i keep getting frame lag. so to outline what i have updated and changed etc to save a similar reply to last time. I have the latest chip set drivers. I have the latest sound card drivers. I have tried the latest nvidia drivers. (these also cause problems in Pro Evolution Soccer 5 - and i have had to revert back to old drivers for the time being just to be able to play a smooth game) I have all the latest windows updates. I have the latest monitor drivers and have a high refresh rate. In the nvidia driver options i have everything set to performance. Just like i did with my previous card and that my friend with the 6800gt had. I have tried all the old drivers through to all the new ones. I have done virus scans and spyware scans and the computer is clean. I am running windows XP home edition service pack 2. I would be very very very greatful if you could suggest how i can fix this problem. The game is becoming unplayable due to the lower frames per second and i am losing my patience with my hardware. Many thanks in advance, Nick

if anybody could shed some light on the situation i would be so greatful. i love the game and its basicly unplayable after getting used to such high fps. it now skips between 120 and 125 and 85. sucky :(

Chocu1a

Feel my heat, Heavens on fire.

45,365 XP

3rd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

You're kidding, right? You DO NOT NEED fps that high. There is no difference in game play at 85-333 fps in ANY GAME. 120 fps is blazing fast. XFX will laugh when they read your letter & through it out. I am really not trying to be a dick, but you CANNOT tell a difference in play. Sorry, not gonna happen. The human eye can't tel the differecne between 100fps or 300fps or 80 fps. It just doesn't work that way.

nick00

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

12 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago
Count_Chocu1aYou're kidding, right? You DO NOT NEED fps that high. There is no difference in game play at 85-333 fps in ANY GAME. 120 fps is blazing fast. XFX will laugh when they read your letter & through it out. I am really not trying to be a dick, but you CANNOT tell a difference in play. Sorry, not gonna happen. The human eye can't tel the differecne between 100fps or 300fps or 80 fps. It just doesn't work that way.

i wasnt asking any1s opinion on what they think of the idea. You (or anybody) DO NOT NEED to play games. its something we want to do. much like i WANT the same kind of frame rate that i got with my old card with my new one. needed or not. and the game is so much smoother with 333. bullets register better and theres the added bonus of a quake 3 bug allowing u to float a little when jumping. tis fun doing trick jumps and such which i now miss. i very much doubt xfx will laugh. the human eye can tell the difference between smooth frames. if its jumping up and down and im lagging due to it... try telling me that that would effect u. thanks for your help... oh wait

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Umm.... I don't know of a single monitor on the market anywhere that can refresh more than 85 times a second. Anything between 85fps and 100,000fps will look exactly the same to you. At this point your monitor is already your weakest link. I'd say its all in your head. Besides, the human eye does about 30fps. Nevertheless, that is quite unatural... first off, was your 6800GT overclocked at all? It's not all that unlikely that an overclocked 6800GT could outperform a stock 7800GT (although 200fps does seem like a big difference). Are you absolutely positive that all of your graphics settings are the same? AA, AF, verticly sync, lighting and shadowing, all that stuff?

Chocu1a

45,365 XP

3rd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Sorry about the above post, like I said, I wasn't trying to come off like a dick. As unlikely as it seems, you could have bad memory on the video card. Can you play any newer graphics intence games? Halflife 2 ,maybe?. If you get bad performance :uhoh: on other games, it could be that. I have 7800gt & get 120fps @ 1440x900 res. on HL2. You should be able to get that at least.

rob.

I am the Walrus

50 XP

24th October 2004

0 Uploads

5,580 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago
nick00i very much doubt xfx will laugh.

You are right there. XFX would be un-professional to laugh. They have to be subject to these questions every days of their life. Just like Tech support.

As for your "problem"...

Like others have said, you cannot tell any difference between 80 and 333Fps....if you use vsync, no monitor can support over 85 refresh rate (prove me wrong, I think there are some)....so that would leave you at 85fps...Without vsync, your image would be tearing, alot.

100,000fps

A game would be un-playable at that speed.

nick00

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

12 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago
carl4286Umm.... I don't know of a single monitor on the market anywhere that can refresh more than 85 times a second. Anything between 85fps and 100,000fps will look exactly the same to you. At this point your monitor is already your weakest link. I'd say its all in your head. Besides, the human eye does about 30fps. Nevertheless, that is quite unatural... first off, was your 6800GT overclocked at all? It's not all that unlikely that an overclocked 6800GT could outperform a stock 7800GT (although 200fps does seem like a big difference). Are you absolutely positive that all of your graphics settings are the same? AA, AF, verticly sync, lighting and shadowing, all that stuff?

iiyama hm903dt refreshes up to 120hrz. its not all in my head... the only way i could proove it to you was to get u to install the game etc. but with my old card the ingame fps said 333 and it had many advantages. now with a much better graphics card (if price is anything to go by) only gets about 80-120-125 unstable in the game fps display. sure ur brain cant see it bla bla bla but ffs how would u feel buying something and getting less than half the performance. if you can get your heads around the fact that im not on drugs... could we start to work out the problem? i havent changed the monitor since changing the graphics cards so it cant be that. i get terrible frame lag on pro evolution soccer 5 aswell.. which also didnt happen with the old card. all i get everywhere i go for help is people saying its impossible. well im afraid its not. ive played the game for 4 years now and know how it all works. i got 125 frames per second on it with a geforce 3 like 3 years ago. Explain that one.. i got around 200 frams per second with a 9800xt a year and a half ago. 333 with 6800gt AGP 120-125 unstable dropping to 85 sometimes with a 7800gt. say ur eyes cant see the difference all u like. but on such a fast paced game if your frames suddenly drop u can completely miss your death and well thats quite possibly the most annoying thing in the world for a top player.

nick00

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

12 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago
carl4286Umm.... I don't know of a single monitor on the market anywhere that can refresh more than 85 times a second. Anything between 85fps and 100,000fps will look exactly the same to you. At this point your monitor is already your weakest link. I'd say its all in your head. Besides, the human eye does about 30fps. Nevertheless, that is quite unatural... first off, was your 6800GT overclocked at all? It's not all that unlikely that an overclocked 6800GT could outperform a stock 7800GT (although 200fps does seem like a big difference). Are you absolutely positive that all of your graphics settings are the same? AA, AF, verticly sync, lighting and shadowing, all that stuff?

no the 6800gt wasnt overclocked. the 7800gt from xfx comes ready overclocked they say. im using the same game config that i used b4. so all ingame settings are the same. everything is set to performance on the graphics settings. AA and AF off as i used to have. could throw the damn the out the window its so annoying

rob.

I am the Walrus

50 XP

24th October 2004

0 Uploads

5,580 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

Can you play a newish game and tell us your results.

It is probably to do with the fact that the newer cards are specifically designed for newer game engines, and not old ones. Probably that easy.

Chocu1a

45,365 XP

3rd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

As stated above, It could be bad memory. There are many forum posts about this with the 7800gt's. If you feel cheated, RMA the card to xfx. They have a lifetime warranty. If THAT doesn't fix it, nothing will.