||G||

BF3

50 XP

5th October 2005

0 Uploads

1,171 Posts

0 Threads

#1 7 years ago

So I've had these speakers for a few years now and they've worked great up until now. They're no longer giving me any sound when the green audio output cable is plugged into the correct input. But when they are plugged in and I plug my headphones into the audio jack on the volume control device, I get sound to my headphones. It either stopped working after installing ATI video card drivers OR after unplugging my headphones (before that was the last time I remember them working). If I plug the audio cable into my iPod it also does not give any sound, unless my headphones are plugged in. The device in the sound options is correctly setup and selected as default and the fuse is still intact on the sub. Any ideas?

Thanks, G

D3matt

I take what n0e says way too seriously

27,515 XP

20th November 2007

0 Uploads

2,554 Posts

1 Threads

#2 7 years ago

Can you give a bit more information on your audio chipset and drivers, as well as maybe a screenshot of any control panel your audio drivers may have?

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#3 7 years ago

So it passes sound through to a set of headphones, but it does not give sound out of the speakers themselves?

Sounds like the speakers, amp, or volume control thing took a dump

||G||

BF3

50 XP

5th October 2005

0 Uploads

1,171 Posts

0 Threads

#4 7 years ago
D3matt;5633335Can you give a bit more information on your audio chipset and drivers, as well as maybe a screenshot of any control panel your audio drivers may have?

High Definition Audio Device Driver Provider: Micro$oft Driver Date: 11/19/2010 (Spoiler: Show

2qbapon.pnga3cs5c.png
Spoiler: Show
x6n8ds.png

Also, in the pic below, when you click the volume scroll button, as you can see it's full, it normally does a little Windows "beep" sound, right? Well obviously it doesn't for me but do you notice how far the green bar that shows the volume only goes up a tad? That's as high as it'll go when I click it.

25qpzyx.png

D3matt

I take what n0e says way too seriously

27,515 XP

20th November 2007

0 Uploads

2,554 Posts

1 Threads

#5 7 years ago

Can you show the Advanced Device Settings page?

Can you also try plugging something else into the speaker jack? A different set of speakers, even headphones (Not a nice pair!) should work.

||G||

BF3

50 XP

5th October 2005

0 Uploads

1,171 Posts

0 Threads

#6 7 years ago

D3matt;5633352Can you show the Advanced Device Settings page?

Can you also try plugging something else into the speaker jack? A different set of speakers, even headphones (Not a nice pair!) should work.

I plugged in some old headphones directly into the speaker jack, worked fine. So that pretty much says its my speakers that are the problem. This is strange...

25tf3up.png

I tried all settings in the advanced options ^

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#7 7 years ago
kow_ciller;5633340 Sounds like the speakers, amp, or volume control thing took a dump

^^^

If it worked with the mp3 player alone it could possibly be a sound setting issue. But since it didn't your speaker setup is bad.

||G||

BF3

50 XP

5th October 2005

0 Uploads

1,171 Posts

0 Threads

#8 7 years ago

There's got to be some explanation. I mean with speakers there isn't too many things that can go wrong...

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#9 7 years ago

A common problem with the Logi speakers is not the speakers themselves but the cheap little potentiometer (dial) volume control they use. This is why I MUCH prefer the digital button volume control on my Creative Gigaworks speaker set, still going strong after over 8 years of use.

Pots can corrode over time, it happens with volume control pots and those used in racing wheel/pedal sets too. If there's a way to test the speaks via bypassing the desktop volume control, you might want to try that.

Usually if a volume control knob goes out though, there are clear indications it's getting worse long before that happens, typically static when turning the knob and/or audio completely dropping out or muffling at certain points on the volume dial.

If the pot is found to be the problem, you might be able to open up the desktop controller and clean the pot with denatured alcohol. Denatured dries pretty fast, but make sure you give it plenty time since pots are crammed into a small container. You might also be able to reference a replacement pot of the same size and spec or have Logi sell you a new one.

Soaking and rotating the pot while saturated with denatured alcohol, then drying it thoroughly (with compressor if you have one, or a sufficient amount of time), may bring the pot back to life, but it's far better to replace it if you can.

The only other suspect thing would probably be a loose connection or something blown on the sub amp mainboard, esp if it's been run long in hot conditions. The Logis have pretty good heat sinks though. Blown parts are common on the sub amps of the Klipsch PC speaker sets, mainly due to no external heatsink, but on the Logis volume dials are the far more common culprits. Some of the best speaker sets are held back by such minor flaws in design.

Even the Logi support staff will often say this type of problem can be caused by a pot getting "dirty". http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Speakers/Z-2300-no-sound-fuse-not-blown/td-p/807133

||G||

BF3

50 XP

5th October 2005

0 Uploads

1,171 Posts

0 Threads

#10 7 years ago

But when my headphones are plugged in I can control the volume with the pot flawlessly. So that being said, maybe its the wire leading to the output source (green end)?