Flakpanzer

Official Forum Spoiled Kid!

50 XP

8th February 2004

0 Uploads

850 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I just bought the Zalman 7000B-Cu. You all recommended the AlCu version. (Refer to my CPU overheating post, which was asking about what I should get as a cooling option.) Aside from weight, the all copper version (Cu) is inherently better at cooling than the AlCu, if I am not mistaken, so is this a better option for me to have purchased over the AlCu or not? I can return it, but I want to know so I can do so or not. Its a heavy little bastard, but its all copper, which is actually gonna be a better cooling HS than a Aluminum copper combo. Am I correct or not?

Also, I need some suggestions on something to use to remove my old white thermal paste. Particular products that would work for sure. No generic suggestions like "alcohol based" stuff, cause its too broad. Specifics. Like Rubbing alcohol, or something descriptive. The Arctic Silver site was less than helpful in that sense.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

There's a neverending debate over whether copper really works better than aluminium in heatsinks, and I think the nays have the upper hand at the moment. True, copper is in theory a superior material, but in practice the amount of heat put off by CPUs versus the size of CPU coolers makes it a bit of a wash. Most of the best coolers out there right now are of hybrid design (copper base, aluminium fins and with heatpipes anymore).

Use Goo Gone to remove thermal gunk, then (I recommend) using pure isopropyl alcohol on top of that, just to be sure. Do not use anything oil-based, like Ronsonol or Zippo fluid. It works, true, but leaves a film that can be very difficult to get rid of.

Flakpanzer

50 XP

8th February 2004

0 Uploads

850 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

So in effect, I may or may not see a better, if not the same, cooling capability compared to using the AlCu version, right? Pure Isopropyl... what would contain that? I don't exactly keep inventory of my chemicals, lol

EDIT: Would it make a difference if I just used an Isopropyl based chem instead. I'm out of Goo Gone.

Would Some Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol work? Its 70% Isopropyl Alcohol by volume.

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

I always use acetone. That works like a charm. It does dissolve many plastics though, so be sure not to get it on any fans or fan shrouds you may have near you're heat sink. I think the AlCu version would have been the better choice. You might as well be mounting a bowling ball on top of you're motherboard with an all copper heat sink like that one. Despite the small difference in performance, the AlCu will keep you're processor from overheating (quite nicely too) and you're motherboard won't be screaming for mercy while doing it.

Is it worth returning you're current one? That depends on weather or not you mind a slight risk of having to replace you're motherboard a few years down the road from the stress of such a large heat sink. It's not too likely that the weight will become a huge problem (assuming you carry you're computer correctly, and don't carry it often), nevertheless, it may be wise to concoct some way of supporting all that weight.

Flakpanzer

50 XP

8th February 2004

0 Uploads

850 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Screw it, I'm just gonna scrape it off carefully for now. I don't have any Acetone based cleaners, as far as I know... or maybe I do... not sure. Never really read Ingredient labels much. I have some nail polish remover that has acetone in it, but I don't know the content of said chemical, nor can I be sure that the "Nail strengthening" it has on the label is gonna make a difference, bad or good, in my cleaning.

I don't intend to be moving my PC much, and I'm well aware of the risk of ripping my CPU out of the socket, or cracking my Motherboard if I am too rough with it. Weight is no issue to me, but cooling is. Basically, all I truly need to know is that this fan WILL be better for cooling than what I got. I mean, sure, I spent a bit more on it, cause I didn't want to wait on Newegg (albeit, they are damn fast) but still, as long as its gonna work, cause I can use this fan if and when I upgrade, which is a good thing, and, well, I don't much care to return it simply because of weight issues. If I do it right, it'll at least be slightly better, regardless of what the AlCu has shown to do, because right now, its better than what I've got. I'm confident that a Cu based HS is gonna do me damn well, and I am EXTREMELY careful with my hardware during any relocation (shoulda seen me when I replaced my desk, took me a good 10 minutes before I could feel confident the surface I placed it on was stable enough. Then, I settled for placing it on a board on the floor.) and this weight will make me much more so careful about how I handle my case. Believe me, by all means I want great cooling, and I take your advice, but it was a mere 3 or 4 bucks more than a AlCu at Fry's. I would have gotten the AlCu, but they were all LED's, and I wasn't wanting none of that. (LED's are sexy, but I was cheap, and scrimping on cash. Besides, even if it matched my case fans, it still wouldn't have changed anything.)

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

Then the copper version was a fine choice for you. But I wouldn't reccommend scraping off your thermal compound carefully. If you feel you must, though, don't use anything but a brand new razor blade. Even dead skin cells from you're finger can affect cooling performance. Acetone isn't hard to come across though. Just go to you're hardware store and pick some up. There aren't different acetone based cleaners that you have to search through, there are just containers of acetone (often used to remove paint).

Flakpanzer

50 XP

8th February 2004

0 Uploads

850 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

So paint remover?

How 'bout Liquid Remover. Dunno what the hell it is, but it has Acetone, Methylene Chloride, Methanol, Toluene, and water. Sounds a bit powerful...

Argh, this is too annoying. Tell me, will Acetone based Nail Polish remover work for now, or can I use 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. I don't have time or money to go get any cleaners you stated, so I'm just gonna use the generic thermal paste that came with it for now, till I can get the cleaners, and remove it to place the AS5 on there.

Chocu1a

Feel my heat, Heavens on fire.

45,365 XP

3rd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

Isoporyl alcohol is RUBBING alcohol. You know, the stuff grandma keeps under the bathroom sink.......That is all I use to remove thermal paste. It just takes several applications to be sure.

Revenge VIP Member

Shizzle my nizzle

117,165 XP

28th July 2004

0 Uploads

10,354 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

Gold would actually work best as a heatsink, as it is the best conductor (except superconductors, but they have to be at a temperature of -273 degrees Celsius) of heat out of the elements. However, a brick of gold would be quite costly (think along the lines of £350,000), so it's not practicle.

Copper is supposedly the next best thing, but when scientists play with metal alloy bonding, they can come up with supermetals which have every property required. Think about what a mixture of titanium and solder would do for engineering! Metal meltable at 100 degrees celsius that goes solid to form the strongest bond known to man short of diamond! *slobbers*

Anyway, on to the topic. I once used white spirit on an old heatsink for the paste, and it worked. However I wouldn't recommend it as the processor I used it on no longer works - perhaps its old age, perhaps it was the white spirit. Don't take that chance.

Flakpanzer

50 XP

8th February 2004

0 Uploads

850 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

Alright, so it won't hurt anything for the short term if I just remove my current generic to replace the HSF with my new one, and place more generic on? I don't intend to put my AS5 on just yet, which I should have mentioned in my very first post. I'm just trying to clarify, since I've read that 70% isopropyl alcohol (which is the rubbing alcohol I have sitting right in front of me) isn't good to use, since it leaves so many impurities when using AS5, but can always get some pure acetone and just clean it all off when I want to the put the AS5 on. What would be a recommended tool to use with said rubbing alcohol? I know I need a lint free cloth, but I don't have one I'm willing to lose, since I need it for my glasses.