Raven Reylann

Good evening...

50 XP

1st May 2005

0 Uploads

684 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

This discussion got started in another thread that happened to get a little off-topic (BIG surprise, there!). If you have anything to say, advice to give, or questions to ask, about fighting using a saber, this is the place to be. Discussion should be expanded to include discussion of conventional melee weapons, e.g. those that actually exist, in order to gain a better understanding of what saber combat should be like. :smokin:

Raven Reylann

Good evening...

50 XP

1st May 2005

0 Uploads

684 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

continued from previous thread...

For Nemmerle: What I meant about ploughing through an opponent's defense is this: if I swing, say down, at you, and you angle your saber perpindicular to mine, a block, then I would be able to muscle your saber back down into you because my two-handed grip would give me more leverage over your one-handed grip. It's simple kinetics. :smokin:

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#3 13 years ago
Raven ReylannWhat I meant about ploughing through an opponent's defense is this: if I swing, say down, at you, and you angle your saber perpindicular to mine, a block, then I would be able to muscle your saber back down into you because my two-handed grip would give me more leverage over your one-handed grip. It's simple kinetics. :smokin:

Well firstly you don't block at an exact right angle so it would sort of be up to me whether I let you try to overpower me or not... :evilgrin: And yes eventually you would be able to muscle my saber down into me but all I'd have to do would be to (say I blocked with my right saber) I could just bring my left saber across my front in a circular motion and you've lost your saber and the front part of your arm. *snaps fingers* just like that.

Trauma Sensei

The All Seeing Eye

50 XP

5th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,591 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

The point in fencing (not every style) is not to block your opponents attack, but to evade it to get a clean slash. There are fencing styles that doesnt depend on physical strenght at all (for example any kind of chinese fencing and ninjato based fencing styles) but you have to be extremely skilled (your movement I mean) It goes like this, wait for your opponent to attack you, evade and attack. If your opponent knows how this style works then you will have to fool him/her to attack you by parrying his/her sword. I forgot to clear something, I am talking mainly about my style, what I am saying should not be taken as general fencing comment (because that is really different) And yes, as you might be able to tell, english is not my first language... too bad, I cant really enjoy a good argument because of that :( (my english is not that good)

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#5 13 years ago

I wouldn't have guessed that English wasn't your first language.

As someone who knows how that style of fencing works the attacker would be able to guess with a reasonable degree of accuracy how you will try to evade it and be ready to counter that.

Guyver VIP Member

Dark System LordResiding In Insanity

41,090 XP

10th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,734 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

This looks very interesting. I would probably go with the fighting style that Nemmerle mentioned above as it sounds most effective. Even though you are discussing fighting styles using Light Sabers please try to keep this on the topic of light sabers and not go off on a tangent i.e. Fencing unless it has something to do with Light Saber fights.

Trauma Sensei

The All Seeing Eye

50 XP

5th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,591 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

Yes, I am fully aware of that, and thats exactly the reason why I mentioned on my last post "you have to be extremely skilled (your movement I mean)" if done properly this style works GREAT (at least for me, I've fought many fencers and I've not been defeated)

Raven Reylann

Good evening...

50 XP

1st May 2005

0 Uploads

684 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

I mis-represented myself. This "overpowering" that I spoke of happens only in the instant that our saber blades would make contact. This "overpowering" would cause your saber blade to be knocked away, thus presenting an opening for me to strike. You would have to be quick on defense with your left hand in order to block the impending strike. The only way to avoid this would be for you to angle your saber so that my swing would cause my saber to slide off your's in a different direction, thus disabling me and allowing you to strike with your left-hand saber.:smokin:

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#9 13 years ago

Ah but it wouldn't just be knocked away, to achieve a strike like that would require an almost superhuman momentum, something which is impossible with a weightless blade.

Raven Reylann

Good evening...

50 XP

1st May 2005

0 Uploads

684 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago
NemmerleAs someone who knows how that style of fencing works the attacker would be able to guess with a reasonable degree of accuracy how you will try to evade it and be ready to counter that.

This is, actually how swordplay, of any kind, works. Attack, parry, feign, parry, feign, parry, feign, attack, and so on. It's like a really high-speed, twitch-based chess game - every movement must be checked and countered. In order to know how Trauma would react, you'd have to be very skilled. Increasing the skill of the two combatants would cause the long, drawn-out battles that have been glamourized in movies (especially Star Wars). Most confrontations last only a few seconds before some one makes a mistake. If you make a mistake and your opponent does not, your dead.