biscuitless

bad dog, no biscuits

50 XP

26th January 2004

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

i keep on trying to install battlefield 1942 on my computer. each time i put it in, it works until it asks for disc two, then it says it cant find the file when i put it in. the last thing ti installs is sound.rfa

DucTTapE

www.savesurge.org

50 XP

4th January 2004

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

it never ever inistalled or did it work along time ago

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Hi biscuitless,

yes we do need more info, but for a starter I would get some disk cleaning gear and give that second disk a good examination and cleaning (even if it doesn't look scratched or dirty), then try again.

Good luck

:cya: :cya: :cya:

:smokin:

biscuitless

bad dog, no biscuits

50 XP

26th January 2004

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

at one point in its life it did work and was installed. then, one day out of the blue, my cd drive hates me, and shatters one of my discs into a million pieces, and ruins my cd drive, so i get another disc and cd drive. since then, i had to format my hard drive. is that enough info? and i did clean both cds and it still would not work. :micro:

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Hi biscuitless,

I would normally say this is likely a hardware problem associated with the drive, it can't read the disks properly. Just because it is new doesn't mean that the drive can't be faulty. But also not every CD is made perfectly, a slight imperfection in the disc surface might be causing the problem. I would suggest trying the disk on a friends computer, if it installs fine, then borrow his CD drive.

Other things to try, make sure DMA is turned off for that IDE channel (ie, run it in PIO mode), disable read ahead caching for drives etc.

Good luck

:smokin:

biscuitless

bad dog, no biscuits

50 XP

26th January 2004

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

but i have installed other games and its worked fine.

ScOrPY VIP Member

Advanced Member

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

15,582 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Close down all background programs and virus scanners an use msconfig, clean CD's, remove CD-ROM from Device Manager then reboot, ah thats all i think can think of atm.

LandShark_7

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

1st February 2004

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

make sure you get the most updated drivers on that new cd rom. and i would sugest purging your system and your registery and removeing all bf1942 content and reg keys.

biscuitless

bad dog, no biscuits

50 XP

26th January 2004

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

i found the problem. the two cds were not compatible. disc one was a newer disc, and disc 2 is one of the older discs. that was the prob. just updating u on me.

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Hehe, thanks for letting us know.

That's one I haven't heard before.

Have fun