Dreamtfk

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

29th March 2002

0 Uploads

122 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

The problem is that when BF1942 is starting up it goes to the black screen like normal then just closes and goes back to my desktop making one of those loud error beeps. I've never had this problem before. I just completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it is still doing the same thing. Please someone help! I want to play Desert Combat.

Mexmadman

[WITH_TEETH]

50 XP

16th November 2002

0 Uploads

1,264 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

Have you tried to reinstall graphics drivers (they can corrupt themselves very easily, i know) and have you patched to 1.31 before running the game ?

LedZep

ZoSo Freak

50 XP

11th November 2002

0 Uploads

632 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

could u please list sys specs OS System. etc??? :cya:

Dreamtfk

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

29th March 2002

0 Uploads

122 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago
Originally posted by Mexmadman Have you tried to reinstall graphics drivers (they can corrupt themselves very easily, i know) and have you patched to 1.31 before running the game ?

Unfortunately yes I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. I even tried different drivers. Here's my specs

AthlonXP 1.6 Geforce4 Ti4400 (Detonator 43.45) 768mb DDR SB Live! DirectX 9

I have been playing BF1942 fine since it came out.

Herr Dickmeister

Addicted to GF

50 XP

15th August 2002

0 Uploads

264 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

It's a well known problem, I've had it myself. I happens with the latest generation of detonator drivers or in combination with a refresh rate tool that fixes the 65 refresh rate that xp and 2000 use as a standard in games.

Here's what you do: search in the battlefield install directory for a file called "viddefault.cfg" (or something that resembles this). Open the file with notepad and change the command line "Allow all refresh rates= 0" to "Allow all refresh rates = 1".

Save it and start up BF. And thank me afterwards :D

One thing: if you are unable to tell why a startup failed, go check the log file. Every modern game has a log file and in the BF log you'll find something like "Illegal video mode specified".

Have fun fraggin

Dreamtfk

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

29th March 2002

0 Uploads

122 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

Could you possible elaborate a bit more? All I can find are .con files and none of the video files say anything about refresh rates.

GeneralFluffy

Mucho Burrito!

50 XP

24th February 2003

0 Uploads

210 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago

Sigh...........just remove any custom maps or mods.....jeez. Ya know they DO saty in the directory even after you unistall. :fistpunch:

ditchhopper

Death Obsession

50 XP

25th August 2002

0 Uploads

710 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago

Maybe the Mods could post a sticky on how to do a proper reinstall of this game. Or maybe they have already and I just didnt take the time to look.:lookaround: Ive noticed a huge amount of posts from peeps that are havin trouble reinstalling this game.

Dreamtfk

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

29th March 2002

0 Uploads

122 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

I had no problems at all uninstalling the game and as far as mods and maps go I simply moved all of them onto my desktop. I don't know how much more "complete" the process can be. I want to know what where this viddefault.cfg is. I haven't been able to play BF1942 for months.

Mexmadman

[WITH_TEETH]

50 XP

16th November 2002

0 Uploads

1,264 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago

Run a search for the file:D