Framnk

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

12th December 2002

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

Was playing a multiplayer game last night, and the level started to change. All of a sudden, my PC speaker makes three loud beeps and I'm back to Windows 2000. I tried to launch the game a couple of times without any success, so I decided to reboot. However, to my suprise, Win2k won't boot anymore!! It gets most of the way into the process and then displays a blue screen with some text briefly (I finally made out the word registry on that screen, but can't read the whole message - it's too quick) Help!

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

Hi Framnk,

It's extremely unlikely to be battlefield 1942's fault. The key is the three beeps, this indicates some sort of hardware fault, probably motherboard, maybe CPU or vid card overheating, in the computer. Also it's not unusual for windows to report some sort of software fault if it fails to read correctly from the HDD. The data it is loading may be corrupted by a faulty IDE controller or CPU or something.

Every motherboard manufacturer builds codes into the cmos of the computer. For instance the short beep you here each time the pc starts is the signal that the mobo has passed the POST (Power On Self Test). I would strongly suggest, if you don't have the skills yourself, that you get the PC checked for faults.

:cya: :cya: :cya:

Framnk

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

12th December 2002

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

Actually, after further investigation, SOMETHING (if not BF1942) whacked my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software registry hive. I verified this by using the management console in 2000 to restore my old one from the Repair folder. With no other changes, if I use the saved Software registry file, instead of my corrupted one, the system boots fine -- with the exception that I have lost all my software registry information.

I don't know for sure if it was BF1942 that whacked my registry hive, but something surely did! I've noticed some flakey behavior ever since the 1.2 patch came out, so I'm a little wary.