salz

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

28th October 2002

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I just picked up Max Payne for $4.99 at CompUSA. I came home and played a few rounds of BF1942. Everything ran great. Then I installed Max Payne and played it for like an 1/2 hour. Then I tried to play BF1942 and it was horribly choppy. I uninstalled Max Payne but it didn't fix it. Than I defragged. BF again ran smooth as silk. Thinking the defrag may have fixed it, I reinstalled Max Payne and the BF troubles reappear. I then Defragged once again but still choppy. Very interesting. I'm wondering if this might be the mystery choppiness alot of people seem to have. It appears Max Payne may be a Maximum Pain if I want to play BF1942. Let me know if anyone else has noticed this. My system:

Motherboard: AOpen AK77-333 CPU: Athlon XP1900 RAM: 512MB PC2700 DDR-333 Hard Drive: 80GB 7200RPM Video Card: EVGA GForce4-TI4400 Sound Card: Audigy Platimum EX OS: WinXP Home

VonMeyer

Waiting for Forgotten Hope 2

50 XP

21st October 2002

0 Uploads

2,212 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

dont know

d8cam

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

21st October 2002

0 Uploads

42 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Ok...here is the truth with this "problem":

1. Max Payne is one of if not the most CPU demanding game on the market...still! Battlefield 1942 doesn't come close. 2. Max Payne installs Max Payne. It does not install drivers or programs that could mess up your computer. It installs to whatever folder you choose during installation. 3. A game in one folder cannot make another game in another folder run slower. 4. When something like this happens, we act dumb and think that virus-scanning, defragging, scandisking (even on xp), and doing other maintainence can fix the problem. That never works in the situation you have.

My solution theory on your problem is:

1. Restart between playing games. 2. Download Rambooster from www.download.com and run this inbetween playing games to wipe and free up ram. 3. The problem may be that your processor gets so hot playing Max Payne that when you try Battlefield 1942 after exiting Max Payne, you are loading something else and the computer may be thinking that you are overloading it.

Although, Max Payne may be resetting your dxdiag stuff to different settings to accomodate that game and no others...not likely.

Anyway, you really got Max Payne for 5 bucks? Is the sale still on?

salz

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

28th October 2002

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

That is my thinking as well. I went to try out BF1942 after not playing Max Payne for like 16 hours. Still choppy. Used to have fps at an averqge of 60 now 15. It almost seems like Payne is causing a memory leak in BF1942. It is really the strangest thing I've seen. I'll try dloading that soft where you mentioned. Thanks.

Btw: Yeah, Max Payne for 5 bucks. Icouldn't believe my eyes. Ithink the price is now 15.99. I bought it on Saturday when I was Xmas shopping. I had to make sure it wasn't a rebate thing. It wasn't. Rang up at the register for 5 bucks.