Will oblivion run on a GeForce FX 5200? -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 12 years ago

The question is as above. I know it wants a GeoForce FX 5700+ but a couple of the games I've played I've been able to get away with having a lower then minimum card. Basically, if it works, I'll just turn everything down graphics wise on the game because I'm not really in it for the graphics, but for the combat and the storytelling. Will it work or am I have I completly lost this war with my video card?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 12 years ago

yea it will if you get the patch that lets older video cards like the Geforce 3 run the game otherwise if you dont Oblivion will not be playable even at 640*480 becuase that cards pretty slow these days.

Ensign Riles VIP Member

No! I'm Spamacus!

426,516 XP

17th June 2003

0 Uploads

39,479 Posts

1 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I tried borrowing a copy and I couldn't get the game to start. I had a GeForce FX5200, but I don't know if that was the problem. I also only have a 1.2ghz processor and Windows 2000. I'm glad I tried it before buying. I guess I should ask him again if I could try it with the patch...

blackmjolnir12

mhmhmrrhmhhm

50 XP

12th December 2005

0 Uploads

26 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Well, I could play BF2 with my 5200 (which I recently replaced with a 6800) but man, tha thing was a workhorse. But yeah, try the patch.

yonie1

thinking for myself

50 XP

12th May 2005

0 Uploads

60 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

As i recall form a recent PCgamer mgazine: (direct quote from their letters section) "old system+new game=buzzkill have you guy's looked into the big OBLIVION snafu? the game box lists geforce FX cards as supported but most of them are not. i have more than the minimum requirements and my fx5500 can't run it. it's like playing online from Abu Dhabi: laggy as hell. i personally want my money back or better yet, a workaround so i can enjoy my 60$ purchase. -Chris Westburg PCG reply: "we checked with the boys at bethsda, who say that the game does run on any FX card, includng the fx5500 but that performance wont be that hot. they reccomend upgrading to at least an FX5750, but if you... .... try updating your videocard drivers... ...resoloution to 640x480, setting detail to low and turning off shadows..." so... expect to have the same results as playing online form abu dhabi :-(... P.S. if any moderator finds this post in infringement of copyright of PCG dont hesitate to remove it

Inyri Forge VIP Member

[Insert User Title Here]

55 XP

15th March 2005

0 Uploads

25,940 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

An alternative to the patch (which I wasn't patient enough to install) is to try out OldBlivion. It's a small bit of software designed to get Oblivion running on older graphics cards. I managed to get it running on my Radeon 9200 with pretty good results -- it was only laggy once in a while, and that's probably because my PC was already low on system resources... because I'm dumb that way. But it's 1:30am, so I have a good excuse for not having many functioning brain cells.

Supported cards: - Geforce 3 series - Geforce 4 series - Geforce FX 5200 series - Geforce PCX 5300 - Geforce FX 5500 - Geforce FX 5700 series - Radeon 9550 - Radeon 9200 series - Radeon 9000 series - Radeon 8500 series

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 12 years ago

you could get that patch or you could get a better card just stay away from the FX line of cards and you should be fine.

yonie1

thinking for myself

50 XP

12th May 2005

0 Uploads

60 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

lol yea, the fx line of cards hasn't been nvidias most gloious series

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 12 years ago

yea i hear the FX 5800 came out 5 months after the ATI 9700 and got its ass kicked than they came out with the 5900s and that got bum raped by the 9800 XT hehe. as for the FX 5200 is the crappiest FX of all the FX 5200 is equlviant to a old Geforce 3 GTS but with PS 2.0.

X_DragonSlayer_X

Dragon Champion

50 XP

1st March 2006

0 Uploads

53 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

How well does a Geforce 6800 run Oblivion. I'm getting my new Dell XPS computer in about 2-3 weeks, its a custom built one that is getting a 6800 installed. so i just wanted to know if it'll work really well. I don't want to have to change the display on the game so it looks crappy and fuzzy, I want to be able to play it right and smoothly.