masked_marsoe VIP Member

Heaven's gonna burn your eyes

50 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

8,063 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

Not sure if this is tech discussion, GD, or Pub.

The XO Laptop (or $100 Laptop) is one of the real showcases of technological application for me.

It's designed to be low-power, high-usability, and dynamic. See BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Factfile: XO laptop for an overview. navigation416.gif

It's well worth taking a look at the features - things like the wi-fi meshes it sets up, or the simple functionality of the software.

In addition, it has great potential for the development of open-source software. One of the buttons is a dedicated "View source" button, so that you can easily switch to see the code of the program running. While most people will never use that, I believe it opens the door for further customisation and development.

But most of all, it has the ability to really transform education, not only in the developing world, but for all school children. By using e-books and networks, textbooks can be done away with, meaning an overall drop in school costs. Instant writing, reading and teaching materials in one box.

And that's where its real abilities lie.

Karst

I chose an eternity of this

50 XP

6th January 2005

0 Uploads

4,505 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

I always thought this was a good idea, right from when it was proposed years ago, and i actually just read the BBC story not five minutes ago. Critics have said that countries that would be interested in such a device have more pressing issues like famine, drought, and lack of healthcare and sanitation. But I think a lot of the problems in developing countries today can be solved or helped with proper education, and although handing out cheap laptops is not going to suddenly make people smarter but it surely is a great way to make knowledge accessible for people who previously had no such opportunity.

Relander

Ambassador

50 XP

8th April 2005

0 Uploads

2,538 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I don't see the idea of the XO Laptop replacing school books and hand-writing as a good thing, it would only lead to even more depedency on technology and distance people from traditional & working educational methods and social interaction. Not to mention that various US studies have shown that computers have very little to none effect on actual educational development of children.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 12 years ago

I see this as a great step forward in technological education. Developing countries now have an easier time of attaining computers for their school children. I hope that this idea takes off fast.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 12 years ago

I'm not sure how much it will help developing nations but I can say it will be interesting to see how well it works. Also just looking at I wouldn't mind buying the thing myself, only $100? Hell yes. But I would have to make myself a less childish custom case and possibly fiddle with some of the electronics just a bit before I was happy with it, but if you just want a cheap laptop you can type some homework up on or whatever it looks pretty good.

foodmaniac2003

Gelato pwns all

50 XP

11th March 2006

0 Uploads

2,875 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

It seems nice, and a freaking good idea and design for a laptop, but my only question is why would anyone spend $100 to give a child a laptop if that same child doesn't have access to food, water, or medical care? :uhm:

Karst

I chose an eternity of this

50 XP

6th January 2005

0 Uploads

4,505 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago
foodmaniac2003;3814778It seems nice, and a freaking good idea and design for a laptop, but my only question is why would anyone spend $100 to give a child a laptop if that same child doesn't have access to food, water, or medical care? :uhm:

It's true that many children have more pressing issues than getting a computer but keep in mind that not everyone in Africa is starving and sick, a lot of children are "just" uneducated and poor, and for those it's a big help.

Crazy Wolf VIP Member

Snipes With Artillery

277,420 XP

22nd March 2005

0 Uploads

27,192 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

This computer is an excellent idea, I can't wait for it to be distributed. Although people need food and water, if they can communicate with other people or learn, they can find better ways to get food and water. Maybe these computers will allow people to find a new way of irrigation, or teach people different ways of gathering water.

Of course, there are also the people who could always just use an education, even if they don't need to learn irrigation techniques.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 12 years ago
foodmaniac2003;3814778It seems nice, and a freaking good idea and design for a laptop, but my only question is why would anyone spend $100 to give a child a laptop if that same child doesn't have access to food, water, or medical care? :uhm:

It isnt the computer companies' job to give children access to food or water. However, making an affordable PC for developing countries falls into the possesion of some humanitarian PC companies.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,860 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,182 Posts

6 Threads

#10 12 years ago

If developing countries want to waste their money on that sort of crap then they're perfectly welcome to do so.