Commissar MercZ

Notable Loser

300,005 XP

29th January 2005

0 Uploads

27,113 Posts

0 Threads

#1 8 years ago

This event has taken place, but not resolved. As we need an injection of some other political concerns outside the United States, I think this is a fitting political manner. I don't know much about this beyond what the media and other sources are telling me (and I'm only aware of obvious issues such as the economy or the issue about internet censorship), so some discussion should shed some light.

For those who want a quick run down-

Following the power play within Labor that resulted in PM Kevin Rudd's downfall and replacement by Julia Gillard as PM back in June (the reasons for why this exactly happened is up to who you ask). A general election was set for August.

The two main groupings are

-Labor Party -The Liberal/National Coalition

Contending seats in both the lower and upper houses. The lower house has single-member seats (i.e. first past the post) while the upper house has a proportional system.

Representing the token centre-left and right in countries, respectively. Results indicate a hung parliament, the first since 1940.

Taking a look at various results, both blocs have failed to reach on their own the 76 seat threshold in the lower house and the 39 seats in the Senate.

Live Results - 2010 Federal Election - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

In the House Labor: 71/72 Liberal/National: 71/73 Greens: 1 Others: 4

In the Senate Labor: 31 Liberal/National: 34 Greens: 9 Others: 2

For the first two, the second number represents an estimate that a seat that had not been allocated at first is likely to go to that party. "Others" are independents.

As such both blocks are now going to form a government by making overtures to independents and Greens in both houses.

Which will be more likely? Which would you prefer? Are all the parties involved incompetent?

jackripped

People say I post too much

50 XP

2nd December 2009

0 Uploads

1,430 Posts

0 Threads

#2 8 years ago

All l can say is the australian people, [ us ] were given a very poor selection of choices, and both parties did nothing but bicker instead of bringing good policies to bear, Labour has the NBN program, the only real policy to come to light in this election.

Commissar MercZ

Notable Loser

300,005 XP

29th January 2005

0 Uploads

27,113 Posts

0 Threads

#3 8 years ago
jackripped;5383007All l can say is the australian people, [ us ] were given a very poor selection of choices, and both parties did nothing but bicker instead of bringing good policies to bear, Labour has the NBN program, the only real policy to come to light in this election.

Care to expand on what the "NBN Program" is?

Mihail VIP Member

President of Novistrana

50 XP

19th January 2003

0 Uploads

15,509 Posts

0 Threads

#4 8 years ago

national broadcasting network is my guess, I really don't know anything but either party though, so I really can't make a better comment.

ScOrPY VIP Member

Advanced Member

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

15,582 Posts

0 Threads

#5 8 years ago

National Broadband Network, our broadband is way behind :(

And agreed with jackripped, we have no hope with politicians on a federal and state level.

Commissar MercZ

Notable Loser

300,005 XP

29th January 2005

0 Uploads

27,113 Posts

0 Threads

#6 8 years ago

That was the impression I was getting by some news reports that were interviewing journalists, analysts, and people themselves. There didn't seem to be much confidence in the main parties, (more so than usual).

jackripped

People say I post too much

50 XP

2nd December 2009

0 Uploads

1,430 Posts

0 Threads

#7 8 years ago

Its the National Braodband Network. A network built by the govenment, consisting of all fibre optics instead of the copper cables we use now. This NBN system will increase GDP by 10%, thats roughly 11billion dollars a year in increased productivity, Americans would understand what lm talking about considering your entire network is pretty much fibre optic cable. In australia we cannot do 'live streaming surgery'' because of slow copper net speeds, our education system is miles behind the modern world because of lack of speed in the out back, look at how we treat our Natives and there poor education, 200 years later. The NBN was the only good thing to come out of this election and australians are to stupid to see its potential. They say it will cost 43 billion to install. What did the copper system cost to install all those years ago, around 100 billion if you do the inflation on the dollar.In the end the NBN will probably cost around 100 billion as well, australia is a huge area.But, we all grew up on a state of the art tellecommunications system, even if it was copper in its day, what right do we have to deniey our children the same standard of communication ?

Labour have put billions into our roads in the last few years, liberal want TOLL roads.... Labour have increased hospital and education spending in the l;ast 3 years. Liberal are threatening to cut it all. Labour have created the NBN. Liberal want to make user pay, in other words australia will NEVER get fibre optics to the HOME. Labour put all the policies in to be costed, liberal didnt. l voted liberal when Jophn Howards won the election, l would NEVER vote TONY ABBOT in, he is a communist bastard, a person who has in the past set up slush funds to assasinate other politcal leaders. Pauline Hanson. Pauline, right or wrong, no - one deserves the treatment she got from the liberal party, who were in power at the time.

Wake up australia.

Red Menace

SCHOFIELD DID 4/30

415,760 XP

10th August 2004

0 Uploads

40,364 Posts

1 Threads

#8 8 years ago

I'm only as knowledgeable about this election as my subscription to The Economist allows me to be. However, from what I understand both candidates were relatively uninspiring but that the three re-elected independents are former National Party members, the other is a former Green and both parties need them all plus the Green to win. So, it seems at the moment the Liberal/National Coalition has a better chance with 3/5 being ideological similar but they became independents for a reason and have not aligned themselves with National yet, so this should be interesting.

sigpic82523_3.gif</div></body></html>

Commissar MercZ

Notable Loser

300,005 XP

29th January 2005

0 Uploads

27,113 Posts

0 Threads

#9 8 years ago

jackripped;5383660he is a communist bastard[/QUOTE]

what

[QUOTE=Red Menace;5383669]I'm only as knowledgeable about this election as my subscription to The Economist allows me to be. However, from what I understand both candidates were relatively uninspiring but that the three re-elected independents are former National Party members, the other is a former Green and both parties need them all plus the Green to win. So, it seems at the moment the Liberal/National Coalition has a better chance with 3/5 being ideological similar but they became independents for a reason and have not aligned themselves with National yet, so this should be interesting.

Ideology is one thing, the temptation of a good offer from either block is another thing. It would be interesting to see what both offer in order to entice them over.

Red Menace

SCHOFIELD DID 4/30

415,760 XP

10th August 2004

0 Uploads

40,364 Posts

1 Threads

#10 8 years ago

You're right, I sometimes lose my head and think politicians are principled in their beliefs.

sigpic82523_3.gif</div></body></html>